Stop trying to set me up!

"Really, Y/F/N. Another one? Can't I just enjoy my coffee before you start talking about my dating life?" I stare at my best friend across from me at the cafe table as she smiles guiltily at me. Y/F/N has been trying to set me up with any guy she can find all year round, promising me that he is the perfect match or that he is really nice. Sure, a couple of them were really nice, but one guy ended up robbing my house when he showed up, and another guy tried to force me to have sex with him in the restaurant toilets. That's not very nice at all.

"Y/F/N, I love you with all my heart, but you need to stop trying to set me up with these guys who you don't really know." I lean back in my seat and take a large gulp of coffee.

"I love you with all my heart too, Y/N, but you need to put yourself out there more. You can't keep shutting yourself in your room all the time, fantasizing about the fictional men from your books or shows."

"It's been working well for me so far." I sass back.

"Like hell it has. You need to go out and meet real people."

"What if I don't want to go out and meet 'real people'?"

"Well too bad." Y/F/N says in an authoritative voice. "Your meeting this guy tonight at the arcade at 7 pm and you are going to have fun." I sigh and look down at my coffee. When Y/F/N starts speaking with authority, you know not to mess with her. It never ends well.

"Fine, but tell me something. Who is this guy and what is he like? I don't want to go in completely blind."

"Well, I do kind of know him." I immediately tense up. 'Kind of' never ends well for me either. "I met him at my friend's wedding. His name is Ben and he is super nice and really good looking. Please, just trust me with this."

"You said that the last nine times."

*******************

I walk into the arcade and I am immediately hit with nostalgia. One thing this guy got right already, bringing me back to the place I was happiest as a kid.

"Your Y/N, right?" I turn to the right to see a guy approaching me with a nice but awkward smile, his green eyes shining down at me with promise. Dang it, Y/F/N was right, he is super good looking.

"Yeah, and you must be Ben?" He gives me a nod and then we stand there in awkward silence. Come on brain, don't shut down on me now and make me look like an idiot. Say something cool, or interesting. But it's not me who speaks first.

"I'm sorry for choosing the arcade, I know it's not the first choice of first date ideas. It was just the first place that came to mind on such short notice." I smile up at him.

"There is no reason for you to be sorry. My inner child is screaming at the moment." He laughs.

"I hope that screaming is with excitement."

"Hell yeah."

"Good, so your inner child wouldn't mind me challenging you to a shooting game?" He points to the game where two kids are shooting at the screen with plastic guns and I shake my head.

"Not if your inner child doesn't mind me challenging you to a dance off?" I raise my eyebrows at him, challenging him.

"Loser buys dessert?"

"Your on." After half an hour of challenges, games, laughing at how ridiculous but adorable Ben looks while trying to tap his foot to the beat if the music on the arrows, we settle down for a meal. If you call sharing a bowl of fries a meal. It's perfect. "I think it's fair to say that I totally owned you during that dance off."

"Yeah well, I definitely bet you in that shoot off."

"Not my fault my gun was a piece of shit."

"Likely story." He and I laugh as we dig into the chips, our hands brushing every so often, making me blush every time. I also can't help but notice the cute crinkle he gets by his eyes when he smiles or laughs. Dang it, Y/F/N actually did well with this guy. "I have to say thank you for coming on this date with me. Y/F/N seems like the kind of person who would spring thing on you short notice, like she did with me. So thank you."

"If you think telling me this morning about this date is short notice." I chuckle at little, taking another chip. "But it's me who has to say thank you. Y/F/N loves trying to set me up with not so great people, and you seem great. You made this date really enjoyable."

"Well, I'm glad I could be of service." We sit there staring at each other for a while. So long that I'm starting to wonder how many shades of green are in his eyes. Seriously, there is so many. "How would you feel about getting coffee with me tomorrow morning? I really want to get to know you more in a place where we don't have to shout over the noise to be heard." I immediately perk up, getting excited at the prospect that he actually wants to see me again.

"You had me at coffee."

I'm sorry, in my small town we don't have any arcades, so I don't know what games are called. 😔🤷‍♀️