Chapter 1: A New Beginning.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ©

The story is my own and I own the characters of Talia, Katie, Liam, the Robinsons, Mr Goodman and maybe even a few more that I might be interested in adding later on. The other characters are from the TV show the vampire diaries and I DO NOT OWN THEM.

Please don't copy any of my material without written permission. I will be using the TV shows as a time line. This is written towards the end of season 2. Lastly, I'm from England so spelling will be different.

This is my first fanfiction. Please Enjoy and comment.

A scared girl looked nervous and she braced herself to walk up to a house on the opposite side of the street. "What have I got to lose? I've made it this far..." she could not stop fiddling with her emerald necklace. "Come on... don't back out now..." 

*FLASHBACK*

A girl was leaning against a cold radiator, cowering as her adoptive mother hurled abuse at her whilst the girl's adoptive sister, Julie, laughed and kicked the girl in her stomach. The girl, Talia, already broken and bruised, made no efforts to protect herself. After what seemed like hours, Talia was left alone in a sweaty and bloody heap, tears streaming down her face. Tying back her brunette hair, she slowly tried to sit up straight but winced as her ribs throbbed. A few minutes later, she crawled to her dingy bathroom and washed her face, pain never leaving her. Looking at her blood swirling in the sink turn in a pleasant pink shade, Talia decided enough was enough.

Slowly walking to her bed, she crouched down with her teeth gritted in pain and reached under her bed, lifting up a loose floorboard to pick up the secret phone her friend Katie had given her.

Now Katie wasn't aware of Talia's abuse but she had a suspicion that something serious occurred in the Robinsons' household. Talia had always brushed off Katie's pleas to ask for help but Talia, fearing for her safety, was unable to do so. Knowing that her friend will be in a serious situation, Katie handed Talia a fully charged Nokia that was to be hidden under the loose floorboard, wrapped in a sock and ready to be used in dire emergencies.

Turning the phone on, the sudden starting ring tone of Nokia started playing, causing Talia to cover the speaker, trying to muffle the sound whilst looking fearfully at her door. Putting the phone on vibrate, Talia texted Katie the codewords, 'I'm out' which immediately let Katie know what she had to do.

Approximately 30 seconds later the doorbell rang twice and a man was heard shouting in a gruff voice. "Someone answer the bloody door!" Without getting up from her bed, Talia knew instantly who was at the door as Katie told her she would ring the doorbell twice, enabling the brunette to distinguish between her friend's visit and someone else's visit.

Weeks before, Talia and Katie had created the plan that would be put in action if Talia ever needed to escape one day. Today was that day. The plan was to have Katie come over and tell the Robinsons that they have been called over for dinner, allowing Talia to make her escape. Katie lived opposite the Robinsons and knew this was a fool proof plan as the Robinsons were full of greed and gluttony and weren't ones to pass on free food.

Standing near the door, Talia could just make out a few loud voices laughing and chatting. Just as silence descended upon her ears, two sets of frantic footsteps thundered up the stairs. Talia, looking scared stumbled towards her bed, ready for another beating. Just then a voice whispered through the keyhole, loud and clear, "Tally, you in there?" It was Katie.

"Thank god," Talia whispered.

"I'm sorry, I tried to get them all to leave but that Julie cow is still here. What shall I do?" Katie's voice shook. "Tal?"