40

It was late at night when they got back. Ariana and Cedar jumped the boundary wall and were just preparing to sneak back into their dorms when a light was shone on them. Cedar whispered, "I feel like a deer caught in headlights." Ariana held in a laugh. Then she saw Officer Burner holding one of the four flashlights being shone on them and whispered, "Shit."

Both Ariana and Cedar were dragged into the headmaster's office, the officers making sure that they didn't run away by having grabbed their shoulders. They were forced to sit down on the seats opposite to the headmaster's. The headmaster, however, was nowhere in sight. In his chair, instead was the chief of the police department, looking at them with narrowed eyes. "I'm going to start this off nice and simple. Where have you been?" He said, looking directly at them. His gaze's intensity made Ariana feel as if he was looking right into her soul and that made it harder for her to lie. She let Cedar do the talking.
"We just went out for some late night fun together, officer."
""Late night" fun you say? Then why did you happen to leave in the afternoon?" The chief said and turned a computer screen towards them where it showed the CCTV footage of Cedar jumping the wall, and later, Ariana doing the same. They watched in horror, but didn't let their emotions be seen.
"Alright. More specific question this time. Why didn't you use the front gate to leave?"
Hearing this question, both Cedar and Ariana made eye contact with each other without turning their heads.
One of the officers pulled Ariana's head back by tugging at her hair to make her answer. That was enough for her to return to how she normally was. She felt void of all emotions. No fear, no excitement. She harshly grabbed the officer's hand and twisted it. He grunted in pain and snapped his hand back. He was probably going to do something but the chief raised his hand and stopped him.

"Look officer, we're both over 18. We can do whatever the fuck we want." She said and leaned back in her seat, putting her legs up on the desk between them and the chief. Cedar was nudging her, but she ignored it. The officer pretended to think over what she said, and said, "Over 18, you say?... Interesting. So you suggest that you jumped the wall just because you wanted to? And you think it's okay to do that just because you're "over 18"?"
"You got that right." Ariana said, nodding in approval.
"Why has your boyfriend gone pale though?" The officer asked.
"For the last freaking time, he is not my boyfriend. You're all close-minded freaks who think the opposite genders can't be friends." Ariana said calmly, twirling her hair.
"I'm glad you aren't, or the poor young man would've committed suicide by now." The officer said, watching her carefully.
"Huh. But I do feel sorry for your wife."
"You do that."
Ariana stared at him. She felt as if he had insulted her, when he clearly had not. "Who do you think you are? All I see is a man with a white beard, trying to act as if he has authority. What do you see when you look in the mirror? Come on. Amuse me." Ariana said.
Cedar tried to stop her, but when he didn't answer, her anger fueled up and she stood up angrily. "Why aren't you answering now? Are you at a loss of words or something? Is your vocabulary really that small?"
The officer just smile and said, "Sorry, I don't speak idiot."

Be sure to vote and comment 💕