62

Day of second trial

Four days passed till it was the day of the second trial. Eloise hadn't spoken to Officer Elder at all the entire time. He managed to hook himself up her lawyer's position somehow, but didn't seem at all inclined to make Eloise believe he was right in showing the video. The CD had been given to him by Cedar, whom she didn't speak to at all upon his visit.

That day, Faith came to see her. She gained access to the cell somehow and stood in front of Eloise who didn't look at her. Faith sighed and walked over, sitting down on the ground beside her.
"Why are you here?" Eloise asked.
"Because I wanted to see you." Faith replied simply.
"Why?" Eloise asked again.
"I don't need a reason any further to what I already said; I wanted to see you." Faith said in her soft voice.
"You shouldn't be here."
"Why?"
"You... just shouldn't. You're much too precious for a lowly place like this."
"This place is no longer lowly if you're here."
Eloise felt that strange feeling she usually felt around Faith. It was a kind of flutter, but she couldn't classify what it was. She was never able to. She shivered from a cool breeze from the front opening of the station. Faith noticed this and moved closer to Eloise. Eloise laughed.
"I didn't turn out to be the kind of person you thought, now did I?" She asked.
"No, we all make mistakes in our assumptions. You're much better than what I imagined."
"How so?" Eloise asked, humoured. "I'm the one beating people up in revenge, and you still say I'm decent?"
"You're not murdering anyone in cold blood without reason. That's more than what many of us can say."
"What do you mean "that's more than what most of us can say"?"

Faith was quiet for a moment. Then she spoke again. "A clique of twelve and thirteen year old kids used to act like they owned their school. They would make fun of all other students and bully them. They were interested in one boy more than the others though. His name was Dean. No one had known what his personal life consisted of, but it was obvious that their bullying didn't make it any better. One day, Dean couldn't take it any longer. He jumped in front of a car to take his life at night. Turned out, that car was full of his bullies only. They drove off, not caring about what might happen to the poor ruined boy." Faith's voice trembled. "I was part of that clique. I wasn't in the car when it hit him, but I was part of the reason he jumped in front of it. Later it was discovered that he used to live with abusive foster parents and had to go through horrible harassment each day. Everyone you meet is going through a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always. You might've heard of this. We never consider what might be happening in someone else's life before acquiring horrible behaviour with them. If he had received an ounce of care at school, he could've still been alive. He made it through for so long, maybe he would've gained courage to continue fighting with the slightest show of good behaviour with him."

Be sure to vote and comment 💕