52

Eloise rounded a corner around the outside of the school to come face to face with Faith, both immediately stilling. Marinelle was beside her too, though Eloise didn't look at her. Moments passed by and they couldn't move under the gaze of the other. Marinelle, all this while, looked at Eloise, then at Faith, and then back again. Eloise didn't know how much time passed with them staring at each other, she couldn't. Neither could she move at all, despite her hurry only seconds ago, but her duties came back to her and she turned her head towards the ground and walked past her quickly. She took quick steps away from the two of them, not once looking back, though she wondered whether Faith had turned to look at her when she passed. She hurried away in search of Cedar.

Finally, she came across a tree, against which was leaning Cedar. She ran up to him and he looked at her with panic visible in his eyes. "What are you doing here?" He asked harshly gripping her arm. "I've got a lead." Eloise said. "Never mind that, how did you get out of prison?" He asked, still panicked. She stared at him. "I broke out." She stated simply. "You shouldn't be here. Go now, don't let anyone spot you." Cedar said quickly. "Wait, Cedar, what is happening?" She asked. Cedar took a quick look around before grabbing her by the elbow and pulling her out through the back doors with himself. "Hmm, I didn't know that was here." She said quietly. "It's an emergency escape route." Cedar said. "Not very accessible though." Eloise remarked. Cedar stayed quiet as Eloise pulled herself behind him. He pulled her towards the forest and Eloise wriggled her hand free, Cedar turning around to face her.

"What the hell has gotten you in such a panic?" Eloise asked. "Go somewhere else. Don't be seen anywhere, by anyone. Go into hiding-" Cedar tried to convince her. "Stop, stop. I'm not going into hiding. I'm done hiding. What has happened?" Eloise asked again. Cedar pulled Eloise towards the tree and pointed to some men from its side. "Who are they?" Eloise asked. "They're from some gang. The very gang that invaded our school last night in your search." Cedar answered. "Which gang is it?" Eloise asked. "I don't know. All I know is that they're keeping an eye on our school, and you need to get out of this area, this city perhaps." Cedar replied. "Cedar, I can defend myself just fine. You don't need to worry. If someone is after me, I won't run and hide. You know that. I'll instead show them what I'm made of in the most violent fashion." Eloise said calmly.

"Goddammit Ariana-"
"Eloise."
Cedar stared at her. Then realization dawned upon his face. "Yeah, Eloise. I care for you, okay? You're a great friend of mine, but right now, in my show of care, I'm going to see you out of this city until everything falls into order." He said.
"Oh stop it. I may be a woman, but that doesn't take away my capability of defending myself." Eloise snapped.
"Why do you always think that I'm trying to be helpful because you're female? Female or not, you're a human, you're my friend, and if there's any humanity in me, then it's my duty to help you."

Be sure to vote and comment 💕