60

They weren't able to take the dead gang leader too far, because just then, police sirens were heard and their car was pulled over by them and they were arrested. The back of the manor blew up from a bomb and the police started running towards it, arresting each person. Eloise just stood there, watching, still taken aback from the events that had occurred prior to that moment, even when the police came up to her and arrested her and led her and the other gang members to the police vans. The unconscious gang members were also stuffed in the van, along with the conscious people. Jackson's dead body was loaded in the second van, and the rest of the conscious and unconscious people in the third. The first and third vans were completely crowded and there was no space for anyone to even move, but the few conscious ones were all already pretty shaken up with all that had happened. Eloise's mind was racing with a million and one thoughts per mili-second. No one moved or spoke, even when they got to the prison-accompanied police station. The policemen came from the back and took each person inside the station, including the insensible ones. They had, of course, all been in that situation before many times. The difference between then and now was that the one they committed the crimes for was dead. Even in Eloise's case.

*_*

A week passed, still a few days from the first hearing of Burner's lawsuit against Eloise. Up until that day, every question she was asked, she had only replied with, "I have nothing to say." Cedar made a visit. He apologised for not accompanying her, but she told him that he didn't need to, though he insisted that he did. Eloise argued that he had all the right to refuse, but also told him that she needed time alone. Cedar had given her a small sad smile and left then.

The chief of the police department was dealing with her. He would ask her questions to try and appoint her a lawyer, but she always had one answer; "I have nothing to say." He wasn't made frustrated easily though. She had to repeat the same words about thirty times before he would leave the questioning for that day. He was showing her mercy though, with his attempts at getting her a lawyer and the unreasonably nice behaviour. He wouldn't just ask her questions about the case though. He would sometimes ask her for her views on general things like the weather and inquire her about her favourite subjects at school, all of which she found very weird, but there were indeed some times when she would open up and give him single to three worded answers.

One day, she opened up enough to tell him about Hailey, the girl whom Cedar loved, and perhaps still does, even after her untimely death. She told him about how it had been a police officer who had caused her to take her life. She didn't tell him each detail though, just an overview, one non-inclusive of her interference between the officer and Hailey. That spilling session had occurred when the officer had let her know about the death of his wife, five years back. Eloise had told him that story in a way to apologise for her inconsiderate comments, especially about his wife on the day they first met.

Be sure to vote and comment 💕