63

"I used to be arrogant and egotistical and rude and selfish and all that. After that incident, the guilt I felt was unbearable. The regret was too strong. I... I didn't know the power of these two feelings- guilt and regret- but it was so... Huge. I went into depression for a year. And we didn't even physically bully him much, it was mostly our words, and words... They can have a much larger affect than physical abuse, when someone repeatedly reminds you of how worthless you are... Words can be worse than knives, Eloise. I tried to commit suicide. Marinelle saved me. She wasn't part of that group, but she knew of what had happened. She is a great friend, because she made me realise what my absence from the world would do... To my parents, to my friends, to those I matter. Everyone has a significant role in the world, you know? Everyone is important in their own way, everyone has a purpose. You have one too, so, for my sake, don't say that you have nothing to say. Please." Faith's face betrayed numerous emotions at that moment, from her sad and pleading eyes to the single tear that had left them.

Eloise looked at her. "I guess thanks are in order."
"What?"
"To Marinelle, or else you wouldn't be here with me right now."
Faith was silent for a moment. "There's nothing between us except friendship, you know. Especially after her saving me. She likes your best friend Cedar anyway."
"I guess I can hook them up if I survive this."
"When you survive this. Because you're going to. For me."
Eloise smiled. "You got a haircut."
Faith felt around her hair. "Yeah."
"You look adorable."
Faith blushed, and then came Officer Elder.
"It's time for the hearing."
Eloise and Faith stood up. Faith hugged Eloise. She then stepped back and looked at her in the eyes. With a smile, she left the prison cell. It was then that Eloise was led away by a few other police officers, as Officer Elder had something to deal with.

It was clear to Eloise. She had not wanted to accept punishment, most probably as in the death penalty, but instead, had wanted her life to end, as she believed her purpose to be complete. Faith had changed that. Faith hadn't known of her wish to leave the world so soon, but had still managed to make her derive from it. She had one more reason to live. Faith.

Soon after she was on the deck, Officer Elder returned and the second hearing began.
"My Lord, if you don't mind, we'd like to display a video in this court." Burner's lawyer said. The judge granted it.
On the evidence board, the video was shown by the projector. It was the video of when Burner had tried to raise his hand on Faith, except that the beginning part had been cut out. It only showed Eloise attacking Burner. After the video, Officer Elder declared that he wanted to question Eloise. They first took an oath of honesty from her.
"Did you, or did you not attack Officer Burner?"
"Yes, I did, and I'd gladly do it again if I could." Eloise answered, grinning.
"Why did you attack Officer Burner?"
"Because he's an asshole."
The judge told her to not use curse words and she huffed.
"Well, if he would try beating me up, then try to raise his hand and threaten someone else with his officer position, of course I would do that." She said.

Be sure to vote and comment 💕