O N E

paisley

"paisley"
"paisley."
"paisley"
"PAISLEY!"

i bolt up out of my sleep. "good morning paisley, today is adoption day so we have to get up early! make sure you put on your prettiest dress!" ms. berry says. i rub my eyes as she walks out of my room.

according to ms. berry, i'm her favorite. i think she says that to everyone though, just so no one feels left out. i get out my small bed and walk to my closet. ms. berry has already lined up my top three beautiful dresses.

i decided to wear this one.

besides, it's my favorite dress

i put on my dress and sit on my bed until my age group is called.

billie

mom?" i call.

"yes?" she answers.

"don't freak out, but i've decided i want to adopt a child" i say, hoping she will be calm.

i don't here a response back, so i walk in the kitchen. i am greeted with my mom smiling. "looks like it runs in the family." she says as she smiles. I look at her confused. "almost everyone in my family has a sudden urge to adopt a child, like your cousin." she explains. "cool?" i say. "have you decided the age and gender?" she asks.

"i was thinking a girl, around the age of two or three." i say confidently. "great! i can drive you to the nearest adoption center." my mom says as she grabs her phone and purse.

i open the door and walk out to my mom's car. i'm old enough to drive, but i just prefer not to sometimes. i am a little nervous to adopt a little girl, being that all attention will be on her because of my popularity. hopefully, it'll work out.

we arrive at the adoption center and let me tell you, this place is huge! my mom and i walk up to the door and open it.

a lady around her mid thirties makes her way to us. "hello! are you here to adopt?" she asks enthusiastically. "yes, we are!" my mom says. "before we get started, who's going to be adopting?" she asks. "i am." i say and smile. "are you 18 or older?" she asks. "oh, i'm 17." i say nervously.

"well, i'll make an exception for you." she smiles. "so what age range and gender are you thinking?" she asks. "um, two to three and girls." i say, nodding my head.

the lady walks over to the front desk and grabs a mic that i'm guessing is connected to some type of intercom. "may all two and three year old girls come to the lobby" the lady says into the mic.

it goes quiet for a second. all of a sudden, hundreds of footsteps run down the stairs.

"hello!" they all shout.

there's about eleven children and they sound like a thousand. "hey, where's paisley?" the lady asks. "she's still in her room." a little girl says.

all of these girls look quite messy. i don't want a little kid messing up my house. i start talking to some of the girls while i wait for the lady to get a little girl.

"ms. berry, am i gonna get adopted?" a cute little voice asks. i look up. i see the cutest little girl looking into my eyes. i walk over to her. "hello cutie!" i say as i bend down to her height. she gives a slight wave and buries her face into the lady's leg.

"this is paisley, she's two and a little shy. if i'm correct, i assume you're thinking about adopting this little one." the lady smiles. "how'd you know?" i ask. "i know that look of happiness when i see it." she laughs.

"do you wanna go home with the nice lady?" the lady asks paisley.

"will you give me cake?" paisley asks.

"i'll give you all the cake you want!" i say as i laugh.

"okay. i'll go home with you." she says as she smiles.

•••
word count: 672