T W O

paisley

after a couple of minutes of billie filing out paperwork, we get in the car. "paisley, we don't have a car seat for you yet so is it okay if you sit in my lap?" billie asks. "okie dokie." i say as she picks me up and sits me in her lap.

i start playing with my stuffed bunny. "what's his name?" billie asks. "chubs." i say as i keep playing with my bunny. i notice all the rings on billie's finger. i put chubs down and try to take one off.

i get on of the rings off and i look at it very closely. i start to put it in my mouth. "no no no!" billie says as she grabs it from my hand. "you don't eat that." she says as she puts it back on her finger.

i huff and lean back on billie. "are we almost there?" i ask impatiently. "no baby, a few more minutes." billie's mom responds. "okay." i say sadly.

"billie?" i ask. "yes?" she responds. "do i have to call you mommy?" i ask sweetly. "not unless you want to paisley." she says and smiles.

we eventually get to the house. billie holds my hand as we walk in and i am greeted with a tall man. i hide behind billie. "who's this cute little one?" the man says. "your niece, paisley, i adopted her." billie explains. he bends down to my height. "hi paisley, i'm finneas." he says as he pokes my arm.

"you're big." i say as i slowly come out from behind billie. he laughs. "i get that a lot." he says happily. billie lets go of my hand and bends down to my height. "i'm gonna go to bathroom, you can run around and play." she says as she walks away.

i run past finneas and go into a room. i see a big bed and a lot of notebooks. i go to open one of the notebooks when billie walks in the door. "hey pais." she says as she picks me up. "are you hungry?" she asks. "yes." i say and nod.

billie takes me to the kitchen and she sits me in her lap while she sits on a chair. her mom goes to the refrigerator and pulls out some fruit. she cuts some strawberries and bananas and puts them into a bowl. she then adds blueberries and grapes.

"here you go paisley." billie's mom says as she pushes it to me. "i'm going to go out and buy paisley some things and i'm bringing finneas with me. keep a watch on her." she says to billie. billie nods.

"looks like it's just you and me." billie says and laughs. billie grabs a piece of a strawberry and puts it in my mouth. "yummy." i say smiling.

we eventually finish eating, and by we i mean me eating and billie occasionally taking a grape or two. she sets me down on the floor while she scrolls through her phone.

"mommy, what's that?" i ask curious. "what's wh- what?" she stops. "what'd you just call me?" she asks. "mommy." i say shyly. "that's what i thought." she says as she gets up and hugs me. i hug her back.

billie looks at her phone. "looks like it's bedtime for you." she says. "what time is it?" i ask. "7:30." she says as she picks me up.

she walks me to her room and puts me down. she grabs a shirt out of her closet and puts it on me. she gets my other clothes and puts them in the corner of her room.

she changes her clothes as well. she gets in the bed with me and holds me close to her. "goodnight paisley." she says as she kisses my cheek. "goodnight mommy." i say and smile.
•••
word count: 645