Chapter 50

Chapter 50:

"So I'm starting the job right after school starts," Percy chewed and swallowed his forkful of scrambled eggs.

"Excited?" Artemis asked as she sipped from her glass of milk.

"Very, I get to work with cops to bring down bad guys, who won't be excited?" Percy smiled, "plus you know, maybe I can help solve crimes, cold cases, thing's like that."

"Forgive my scepticism Percy, but I find it hard to believe that you would ever willingly put yourself in a position where you have to obey the law and answer to a superior officer," Artemis chuckled, "if I know you, and I like to think I do, you are probably going to break every rule in the book within the first month. The first week, if you don't like your commanding officer."

"Well......you're not wrong," Percy smiled, "yeah, being a desk jockey isn't my style, but.....I don't know. If I have to I might just bite the bullet and become a lackey."

"And you would be okay with that?"

"Not really, but I'll try," Percy laughed, "but your probably right about how long I'll last before I lose it and start breaking the rules again."

Artemis smiled, "yes.....why are you adamant about this job?"

"I......I think that maybe.....maybe I can make a difference."

"What do you wish to change?"

"I'm not sure, maybe just..., bring a little hope into the world, you know?" Percy chuckled, "I guess it might sound a little arrogant, but I would like to believe that if I put my mind to it, I could help a lot of people."

Artemis smiled, "it's not arrogance Percy. Arrogance is thinking you can do things beyond your limits, this....this is well within your reach."

"Glad to hear you say that Arty," Percy leaned back as they started at the sun rising into the sky.

"So you want to be what? A vigilante?"

"I prefer the term superhero," Percy said a simple shrug, "much more representative of what I want to be."

"I can already imagine it, criminal of New York beware, Percy Jackson will find you and talk you into submission," Artemis grinned.

"Hey you know I only use my super talking power as a last resort," Percy waved his fork at her face, "besides that's not only powers. I also have the power of coolness and raw awesomeness!"

Artemis rolled her eyes, "I have seen Narcissist himself be more humble than you. The only thing you're good at is making a fool of yourself."

"Name one time."

"The first time we meet you called me sexist."

"In my defence you were shooting me with arrows," Percy pointed out, "plus you know, you were kind of sexist."

"Was not."

"Was so, you even said that the definetion of sexisim was women being subjucated by men!"

"Well it is!"

"It goes both ways you know."

"When has a man ever been subjugated by a woman?"

"How many men have you turned into a deer again?"

"...that doesn't count."

Percy chuckled, "yeah, sure."

Artemis smiled as she shook her head. The Goddess had suggested meeting up in here for their breakfast routine and Percy accepted. After all it was better here than his cabin, Thalia was after all currently snoring into his pillow cuddled up in his bed sheets.