1 | The High-Functioning Sociopath

1| The High-Functioning Sociopath

TODAY was the day I had been anxiously awaiting: the day that Mr

TODAY was the day I had been anxiously awaiting: the day that Mr. Anderson passed out the grades for our most recent psych test.

The test was over a week ago and every time we took a test, I was pretty much on edge until the results were handed back. All I wanted was to get the best score in the class and more than that, I wanted to get a better score than my nemesis, Noah Locke, who unfortunately was in the same class period as me. It was simple to say that neither of us appreciated the fact that we had to share the same classroom.

We'll get into that later.

Currently, it was 5th period, and I was basically staring down the clock waiting for the bell to ring so that I could get to psych. And fast.

"Jesus, can you calm down?" Gracie asked from beside me, and I realized I had been impatiently tapping my pencil on the desk.

"Sorry," I muttered before stopping my incessant tapping. "You know it's just—"

"The test score," she said, finishing my sentence and simultaneously rolling her eyes. "And let me guess? You just have to get a higher grade than a certain male or else you'll actually explode?"

"Oh, don't be so dramatic," I said. "Come on, Gracie. You know I have to be the best."

"Last time I checked, you were the best. And Noah Locke is a complete ass."

I smiled and that was when the bell rang. I quickly threw everything into my backpack, getting up and leaving the classroom alongside Gracie. She and I started our walk to our psych classroom, as she was also in the class.

"You excited for practice tonight?" Gracie asked, nudging my arm. "Tryouts are over, and the team's all set. It's looking like it's gonna be another winning year, my girl!"

"Oh hell yeah," I replied, cracking a smile.

The practice Gracie was talking about, of course, was for the varsity volleyball team. Upon starting high school, I was most excited to join the volleyball team. I started playing when I was in 2nd grade, and ever since then, I couldn't stop. So when Freshman year tryouts had come along, I'd been ecstatic.

Gracie and I were warm-up partners, as we always had been throughout elementary and middle school. We both made varsity our freshman year, and every year since. We were unstoppable, and that wasn't going to change this year, for our senior year. And this year was our year. Gracie and I were the captains and we were more than ready to kick off practices.

Our school, Columbus High, was undoubtedly the best at volleyball. For the past 10 years in a row, the girls' volleyball team had made it to state, and for the past 2 years in a row, we had won. The boys' volleyball team was equally as good, but I didn't even want to think about them.