43| There's Somewhere Else We'd Rather Be!

NOAH and I had spent most of the day together after finals ended

NOAH and I had spent most of the day together after finals ended. Since finals had only been a half day and we got out of school at 10:30. We swam and drank our coffee from the coffee shop. At one point when we got hungry, Noah insisted on grilling some burgers for us, and I wasn't complaining. I had been starving.

But still, the entire time I spent with him, I couldn't escape my mind. I was positive by the time I left his house that I loved him. There was no denying or hiding it. But there was one thing: I couldn't tell him. I just couldn't. I mean, he probably didn't even feel that way about me. There was no way he did. So I kept it to myself.

Noah dropped me off at home before he had to go over to Chad's house. Apparently he had offered to watch their dog for the evening while they went out on the lake to celebrate Chad's grades. Thanks to Cayden, he'd passed all of his classes with mostly B's and 2 C's. For Chad, that was impressive as hell. I could barely believe it when Noah told me.

So I went inside and my parents weren't home yet as it was only around 2 o'clock in the afternoon. They usually got home past 5. So I killed some time by cleaning my room (in a wave of inspiration of course) and binge-watching half of Insatiable on Netflix. It was a weird show. But somehow, I couldn't stop watching it.

I heard my parents getting home at just past 5:30. I could hear the garage door open followed by the sound of their shoes on the hardwood floor. It was nearly 6 when they finally called my name and I knew exactly what they wanted.

"Our girl finished finals!" My dad exclaimed right as I walked down the stairs. I entered the kitchen where they were both sitting at the table next to each other. Eagerly waiting, I assumed. "So... show us those grades!"

They got overly excited about my grades, which was expected of them. Like I've mentioned, grades were always the most important thing in their minds. That and then volleyball, of course. So it was no surprise to me that every time I finished finals the first thing they wanted to know was what my grades were. Not even a simple, "Hey honey, how was your day? Oh, you fell in love? That's terrible. Show us your grades." I'd worked it out in my head that that was exactly what they would've said.

I pulled out my phone which already had my grades on the screen. Handing it over to them, I watched their reactions as they scrolled. It was like each time they saw a grade, they internally cheered for me. Although, no "Good job" ever came from their mouths. Again, it was expected.

I watched as their reactions turned from proud to disappointment in a split second when they must have reached my psychology grade.

"A 94?" My dad asked. "You mean an A-minus."

"That's what it says right there," my mom added. "How did this happen?"

"It's still an A," I muttered and I realized that I shouldn't have said it right as the words left my mouth. They both raised their eyebrows at me in the way that told me they were mad.