18| Noah Locke, Devil Reincarnate

    WHEN I woke up on Saturday morning, I was expecting to walk downstairs and be interrogated by my parents on where I was last night

    WHEN I woke up on Saturday morning, I was expecting to walk downstairs and be interrogated by my parents on where I was last night. But to my surprise, when I made my way down to the kitchen there was a note on the counter. Apparently, my parents were heading to Atlanta for an all-day conference, so they wouldn't be home today. I was beyond thankful for that because it meant I wouldn't have to explain myself to them. Not to mention, I wouldn't have the pressure put on me to finish my homework today. Not like I wouldn't get it all done, anyway.

    I opened the fridge, desperately searching for something to eat for breakfast. I practically tore up the entire fridge only to find out that there was nothing but my dad's vegan oatmeal to eat. No, he wasn't vegan, but for some reason he was obsessed with vegan oatmeal. Don't ask me.

    So I ran upstairs and decided today I would get breakfast at the the little cafe just 10 minutes into town. I threw on a pair of ripped jeans and a cropped light yellow tank top before grabbing my keys and heading out.

    I parked directly in front of the little cafe on the street, grabbed my backpack with some of my homework in it, and went inside. I ordered an iced vanilla latte and a blueberry scone, then sat down at a small table in the corner of the cafe. My parents never let me study at the cafe or really anywhere outside of the house. Not even at Gracie's house. They always thought that if they let me study outside of the house, they wouldn't be able to tell if I was actually doing work or not. It was all a bit ridiculous to me.

    The amount of pressure they put on me was too much, but for some reason, I was used to it by now. Their strict nature bothered me more than anything, but I could never go against what they wanted. It was so engraved into my brain to get good grades that it was instinct to me. I didn't mind doing my work and getting good grades. It was just my parents constant pushing at me.

    I shook it off. I didn't want to think about my parents. As much as I loved them, I didn't want them to dictate my thoughts on my last minute day-off. If they were gone, it just meant that I had more freedom.

    I pulled out my psych notebook and textbook and started to take notes on the assigned module. I was always fascinated by psychology, but I wasn't exactly the best at it. I was much better at the other sciences, especially chemistry.

    "Studying in hopes of beating me?" A familiar voice said, making me look up from my work.

    "Noah," I said. "What a pleasure to see you here."

    He smirked and then sat down across from me. He had his glasses on again today, like the last time I ran into him at the cafe (and dumped his coffee all over him). Something about him in those glasses...

    Ew. I'm not even going to finish that thought.

    "You know, highlighting does nothing," Noah told me.