34| Did Somebody Say... PORKCHOPS?

    WAKING up to the smell of eggs and bacon cooking in the kitchen was not typical, but definitely appreciated

WAKING up to the smell of eggs and bacon cooking in the kitchen was not typical, but definitely appreciated. I could hear my parents laughter downstairs, and Amelia's all-too loud voice for 9 in the morning. I swear, she was always way too excited in the morning to be an actual human. I needed at least 30 minutes to wake myself up. However, I could pull myself together enough to make my way downstairs for some eggs and bacon.

"Eggs and bacon for my favorite son!" My mom exclaimed right as I walked into the kitchen.

I held up my hand and yawned. "Gonna take me a minute to wake up. I'm not quite ready for that amount of excitement yet," I said, heading over to the coffee machine. I grabbed the pot of coffee and started pouring some into one of the mugs. "But thank you for breakfast. It smells amazing."

I went and sat down at the table after grabbing a plate full of scrambled eggs and approximately 7 pieces of bacon. Bacon was by far one of my favorite things in the world.

"I know you're not exactly a morning person like the lot of us," my dad said from across the table, shoving a mouthful of eggs into his mouth. "However, we thought it'd be nice to catch up before you head off to the barbecue later today."

"Right," I said, remembering the annual team barbecue that was later in the evening. I almost completely spaced it. "You guys are leaving tonight?"

"We have to," my mom said, sighing. "Business calls in New York. It's way too damn chilly there."

I nodded. "Agreed."

"How are your grades?" My dad asked. "We haven't really gotten to log on and check, not like we would anyway. But we ran into your guidance counselor at the store just yesterday, and she said you were doing phenomenal."

"Uh, yeah. I'm doing pretty good," I told them.

"Pretty good?" My mom said, laughing a bit. "She told us that you're at the top of your class. The very top!"

"I am," I admitted.

"There was that girl from the volleyball team, Logan?" My dad asked, and I just nodded as I took a bite of bacon. "Weren't you 2 always tied for the number one spot?"

"We were. I just recently beat her for it, though," I said.

It was true. Obviously Logan and I had been extremely competitive our entire high school career, fighting for that number one spot at the top of our class. We constantly went back and forth, although, mostly staying pretty level with one another. It was just this week that my guidance counselor, Mrs. Frederick, told me that I was beating out Logan for the number one spot by a good few percentage points.

It honestly made me uncomfortable thinking about it now that Logan and I were a thing. So talking about it with my parents made me even more uncomfortable.