37| Love Is A Strong Word

    STATE was today. And for unexplainable reasons, I found myself getting secondhand-nervously for the girls team.

    It was 7 in the morning and Clay and I had gotten up to head down to the lobby for free breakfast. Porkchop went all out, grabbing pretty much a little bit of everything, and even making waffles with that machine they always had. I opted for a banana, an english muffin with strawberry and blueberry jam (because you have to love the jams), and of course a cup of coffee. It was just him and I eating this early in the morning, and we sat together outside since it was a nice enough day. A gently breeze blowing.

    "This waffle is delectable," Porkchop said with a mouthful of the acclaimed waffle. "Was that a good choice of word?"

    I gave him a thumbs up. "It was a fantastic word choice."

    Porkchop grinned before he continued to eat his waffle, which was decorated with whipped cream and strawberries. He liked to say that he was a food connoisseur. Whatever he meant by that, I wasn't sure I believed him.

    "So," Porkchop started, swallowing a bite of waffle before continuing to speak, "what's been going on with you?"

    "What do you mean?" I asked.

    "I'd like you to know, Noah, that I may be pretty dense sometimes, but I do have 20/20 vision. Meaning, I see everything," Porkchop said, then taking a sip of his apple juice.

    "I don't know where you're going with this."

     Porkchop sighed and stopped eating, looking intently at me with complete focus. "I'll let you on in a little secret about Florida... when me and Logan built our fort."

    Logan. The mention of her name even made my heart race a bit. After what happened on Tuesday night, I hadn't talked to her. In fact, I had barely even made eye contact with her. I was just angry with her, mostly because of the fact that she was letting her parents tell her what she could or couldn't do. Maybe it wasn't my place to tell her how to live her life, but I had only ever been trying to help. I was sure that after the multiple times she had confided in me about her parents pressuring her or making her feel shitty, she would be able to start standing up for herself and living her own life. But Tuesday had proved me wrong.

    "We talked about you," he told me. "She seemed upset that you had been off all day making out with some random girl. She never fully admitted to liking you, but I knew she did. And I knew you liked her too."

    Where could he possibly be going with this? I took a bite from my strawberry jam english muffin. I love jams.

    "It wouldn't surprise me if you two had, you know... started seeing each other after the Florida trip," Porkchop said rather suggestively, causing my eyes to dart up to his.