15| Spill The Tea, Miss Pierce

    I couldn't explain exactly what I was feeling as I woke up the next morning

    I couldn't explain exactly what I was feeling as I woke up the next morning. I had fallen asleep easily last night right when I had finished having a discussion with Coach as to why my running away wasn't okay. But for some reason, I found it hard to stay asleep. I woke up at just past 4 in the morning, although I still felt tired.

    I just couldn't sleep as I recalled what happened last night. My mind annoyingly decided to focus on the thought of Noah.

    He had been so... different last night. Different from what I expected from him, that is. I knew we had actually been trying to get along this week, and it was working, but last night was to a completely different extreme. He listened to me, and he made me smile.

    In what kind of a fucked up alternate universe did Noah Locke manage to make me smile?

    For some reason, the thought of last night made me uncomfortable. Noah and I weren't supposed to like each other. We weren't supposed to listen and talk to each other. We weren't supposed to enjoy each other's company. We were, however, supposed to hate each other. I had gotten used to that fact since we 1st met.

    But the way I felt last night terrified me. The way we laid so closely together, arms almost touching, cold wind blowing against us. The way I could feel Noah's eyes focused on me, listening intently. I didn't want to admit it, but I felt good. I was close to admitting that I almost enjoyed laying next to him.

    And that's why I decided right then and there that it could never happen again.

    Hours dragged on as I laid awake in my bunk until it was finally 8 in the morning. Everyone else was awake and getting ready to head to breakfast. I quickly changed into a pair of shorts and a plan, black t-shirt. As I was pulling my hair up into a high ponytail, I caught a glimpse of Gracie eyeing me questioningly.

    "What?" I asked.

    "Nothing," she said, shrugging. "You look really tired. What happened last night, anyway? You wouldn't tell me when you got back. Will you tell me now?"

    I sighed. "Nothing happened, Gracie. Noah came and found me and I was just being stubborn, so it took awhile for me to agree to come back. Now, can we please just go eat? I'm starving."

    Gracie just nodded, and we left the room and headed to the main cabin.

    I didn't want to tell Gracie about what actually happened, and I definitely didn't want to tell her about my confusing feelings. I hate feelings. They're so useless and invasive. But anyway, I knew that if I told Gracie, she would tease me about actually liking Noah. She would say "I told you so" about us getting along, and then I would feel even more conflicted and be forced to think of him more than I already had been.