53

18 Miles Out

~~~

A/N: Another update tomorrow

~~

( Shane POV )

We stopped in the middle of the road, Rick shut off the car and walked outside, I didn't know what the fuck he was doing and all he said was,""I just wanna talk."

I had followed him out with a shot gun in hand not knowing if I'd need it and right now I felt like pointing it at him for being stupid, I rolled my eyes before answering,"We don't need to."

"We do."

I just looked away annoyed,"No man, we don't. We're doing this," I swung the gun at the car before looking back at him. "I get it okay. He was passed the fuck out when y'all brought him back, he has no clue where the farm is-"

He shook his head and I stopped talking with a sigh,"That isn't what I need to talk to you about." He held his hands together in front of his crotch as he starred at me, I tensed up out of instinct unsure of what he could possibly be talking about. It couldn't be about Lori, right? My eyes grew cold as we stared at each other in silence, what could it - "I heard about what really happened at the school." I shut my eyes and turned away, that fucking bitch. "Was-was it to survive?"

"Only one of us was gonna make it out alive,"I opened my eyes and turned back to look at him,"It had to be him." He just stayed starring, though his eyes changed as I continued to speak,"Look, one shot to the leg and Carl lives. The reality is he had no business being here..there." I just shrugged at his continued silence and I ultimately looked away,"Whatever."

"You don't think I would've done it-"

I scoffed,"No man, I know you wouldn't have."

We both happened to look back at each other at the same time, he was angry. I could tell just by seeing the way he stood but his face stayed emotionless,"You don't think I can keep Carl and Lori safe?" I shook my head, I never once said that, well to him at least. "Or my baby? Is it gonna have to be me too?"

I sighed and shook my head, of all that's gone on and you still hold that being kind will get you somewhere. "Rick," he looked me dead in the eyes,"You can't just be the good guy and expect to live okay? Not anymore,that is my worry."

"I'm not the good guy anymore-"

"Rick you saved that boy who tried to kill you with his fucking group, now you gave his medical care and we're taking him back!?"

"Forget him okay?" He stepped closer to me and I looked to the side not wanting to look at his face,"Look I would've done anything for Carl, anything! And now Lori is telling me that your dangerous, but your not gonna be dangerous. Not to us, not to me. Not anymore...How about you look at me?"

I reluctantly looked up and met his indifferent eyes, the way they looked at me made me feel like a troubled teenager, like I was being scolded but at least they weren't like Y/N's eyes when she looked like a crazed animal to kill me."What."

He swallowed the lump in his throat and I understood,"You and Lori-,"I shut my eyes,"I get what happened. When I figured it out- and I figured it out pretty quickly! I wanted to break your fucking jaw, let you choke on your teeth! ...but I didn't."

He knew on his own?

"That wasn't weakness,that took everything." It was my turn to swallow the lump in my throat as my gaze on the floor became more interesting,"That is my wife. That is my son. That is my unborn child. I will stay alive to keep them alive." What if your child is really mine. He got his face even closer to me,"You don't love Lori, you think you do but you don't. Now the only way we keep on is if you accept everything I said right here, right now; and we move forward with this understanding."