33

It was the day of Arthur's funeral. Sofia sat at her dresser, her dull eyes stared back at her. She had a new "war trophy". A purple bruise was forming under her eye.

A slight knock on the door interrupted her from her thoughts. "Come in". She muttered.

Her eyes where still on the mirror as she watched the figure of her husband walk slowly towards her. "We have a special guest". He muttered. Her eyes shifted towards the door as she watched his mother walk in. She frowned and looked down at her hands.

"Sofia". She muttered. She turned in her seat and nodded. She knew her mother in law hated her. She always made it clear she was unwanted.

"I want you both to go to the funeral". Luca said, lighting his cigarette. Sofia frowned and looked up at him. "Now Sofia, Get up and get dressed". When she didn't reply he grabbed her wrist with his free hand.

He pulled her up and dragged her towards the wardrobe. "Put on your finest black dress we will wait outside". He shook his head and turned to his mother. "You look wonderful mother". He said giving her a small kiss on the cheek.

Sofia stood there and shut her eyes. A single tear slid slowly down her cheek. She peeled of her dress and let it fall to the ground. She pulled out the black dress and lay it out on the bed.

"Mio figlio non ha mai meritato una ragazza come te (my son never deserved a girl like you)". A voice muttered from behind. She stood there and turned her head slightly. "The moment I met you I knew you where the wrong one. Why would he pick someone so young and stupid. And that's when it hit me. He fell in love with your beauty. But you my dear are the devil himself. Because of you I lost my son and my husband". Sofia stood there and sighed. She bent down to pick up her dress.

A hand trailed up her back. "You deserve each and everyone of these bruises and scars". She muttered. A hand clasped her arm and turned her around. "Get dressed". She muttered. She pushed Sofia back onto the bed and walked out.

Sofia sat there in defeat her hand shaking. She pulled the dress on and stood up. She walked towards the dresser once again and wiped away her tears. She pulled on a pair of black silk gloves and slipped on a pair of black heels. She grabbed her bag and stormed out of the room.

Luca smirked when he saw her and grabbed her by the arms. "Look at you my beautiful wife". He pulled her closer and placed a small kiss on her lips.

She smiled up at him, her insides burning.

She walked away following her mother in law. They both got into the car that was waiting for them. "Saranno i tuoi funerali dopo (It will be your funeral next)". She muttered from beside her.

Sofia looked down at her hands and gently played with her ring.

The car finally pulled up to the burial place of where Arthur was getting buried. The caravan was in the middle of the field and a large crowd was formed. Sofia frowned as she watched Changretta pull out a white flag.

Sofia watched as Michael turned around, Polly was standing beside him. Tommy walked forwards frowning as he watched the two Changretta women walk towards him.