55

"Ello love". Arthur's loud voice chimed, a massive smile on his face as he looked at Sofia. She turned and smiled widely up at him.

"Buongiorno (good morning) Arthur". She said.

"What you up to?" He asked, his arm thrown around her shoulder as they walked.

"Just out walking. It's boring, sitting in my hotel room all the time. There's nothing to do. I mean, I love to read, but there's only a matter of times where you can read the same book again". She answered.

She looked up at him and smiled. "And yourself?" She asked.

He smiled widely. "Going to the Garrison to have a talk with Tommy". He answered.

She smiled and nodded her head.

"You're more than welcome to join me if you like". Arthur said softly. Sofia smiled and nodded her head. "I'd love to". She exclaimed.

It was weird to think, Arthur hated her when they first met, and now, they were the best of friends.

They walked into the Garrison, the two of them laughing at what Arthur had said. Tommy looked up at the two of them and sent them both a small smile. He took a seat, his hand running over his face.

Sofia sat across from Tommy. She sent him a small smile. She placed her handbag on the table and smiled widely at Arthur as he placed a glass of whisky down for her.

She turned her head as Micky, the barman walked in. He was in the middle of humming a tune, his hands tucked in his pockets. Sofia raised her eyebrow as she looked at him. She preferred Harry, there was something off about Micky and she didn't like it.

"Ahh jeez, Mr Shelby. If I'd have known, I'd have come in early and served ye drinks huh?" Micky asked.

His eyes drifted towards Sofia. He gulped and looked back at Tommy.

Tommy stood up and pulled one of the chairs down from the table. "Here Micky, sit down there". Tommy muttered, his finger pointing towards the seat. He turned around and sat back in his seat.

"Sure I'll have a drink shall I?" Micky asked.

Sofia raised her eyebrow and shook her head. If that was one of her men, talking to her in that type of way, she would snap.

Tommy sighed and handed him his untouched drink. He didn't return to his seat, this time he stood up, his arms crossed. His eyes were trained on Micky.

"A few days ago, I went to London Micky, to collect some cargo. I was met by the Titanic Boys. They knew I was coming. When, where, what time. They even knew the cargo I was picking up". Arthur muttered.

Sofia stood up, her glass in her hand. She stood across from Micky, her free hand was placed on her hip.

"Jesus". Micky muttered, his eyes diverting.

"A soldier was killed Micky, outside my office, by a bomb". Tommy said.

Micky nodded his head. "Yeah, the papers said it was the IRA". He said, his eyes showing guilt and fear.

"That wasn't the IRA Micky". Arthur muttered.

"I spoke to the girls who work at the Digbeth Telephone Exchange. They're friends of mine. I asked them what calls where made around the time of the explosion. They told me 30 minutes before the explosion a call was made, to a man, in London who has connections to the Ulster Volunteer Force. He now offers his services for cash". Tommy muttered.

Arthur tapped a glass in front of Micky, who gladly accepted it.

"Paddy Rose". Arthur muttered.

Sofia raised her eyebrow as the blood drained from Micky's face. He licked his bottom lip and knocked back his drink.

"Yeah, me and my brother, we spoke to Paddy. At length. He told us it was he who planted the bomb". Tommy said.

"Yeah, we spoke to him. We killed him, Micky. Paddy Rose is dead. We weighed him down, we sunk him, to the bottom of the Grand Union Canal". Arthur growled.

Micky exhaled, tears forming in his eyes.

Sofia shook her head and knocked back her drink. If there was one thing she hated the most in the world, it was rats, people who betray others.

"The girls at the exchange gave me a number of the man who called before the explosion. That was your number, Micky. It was you who called him. You tipped him off". Tommy said, his head shaking.

"We know that you've been giving the Titanic Boys information as well. We know that. Yeah! You've been working behind the bar hmmm? Seeing what goes on, listening, taking notes. And you're selling your stories to the highest bidder". Arthur shouted.

"Yeah". Micky whispered.

"Come on". Arthur snapped.

Sofia pouted her lips as she poured herself another drink. She was, for once, going to keep her opinion to herself. She knocked back her drink and shook her head at Micky.

"Oh Jesus, oh Jesus". Micky kept muttering. He ran his fingers through his hair.

He looked up at Tommy, tears streaming down his face. "I'm sorry Mr Shelby". He cried.

"Don't look at Tommy". Arthur snapped, his fists coming down on the table. Sofia rolled her eyes as Micky jumped.

"The ceiling would be cheaper brother". Arthur muttered.

Sofia raised her brow as Tommy pulled out his pistol. He shot Micky dead.

Sofia sighed and stepped outside. She pulled out a cigarette and waved her hand. She watched as ten men cane marching towards her. She had her men, ones that she never allowed the Shelby's to meet, roam the streets. They were her protection. They wore normal clothing to fit in.

"Abbiamo un casino dentro che deve essere eliminato dentro (we have a mess that needs cleaning inside)" she muttered softly.

She walked back inside to hear Tommy shouting. "There is no item five".

She looked at Arthur to see him cowering in his seat, his body shaking in fear. Sofia walked towards him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Go and check that Polly is still on our side. I have to go to Margate. Sofia, I would like you to accompany me". Tommy said, after he cleared his throat.

She knelt down and kissed Arthur's cheek. "It's okay Arthur dear, don't get upset, you've done nothing wrong. Go see Polly. I've got my men to clean up this mess okay. Now stop crying and show everyone who's boss eh?" She asked.

He turned his head and smiled softly.

She stood up and gave his shoulder one last squeeze before following Tommy.