Chapter 1 : Injured

I'm so nervous. It feels as if this is my very first book! Here you go ^_^ Enjoy!

Elizabeth Peterson :

"Jack! Come here for a second." I had border patrol with the Beta, Jack when I've found something suspicious.

"It smells of blood but there's no other trail. It starts here and ends here." He bend down to give a quick sniff before gliding his finger on the blood like a hunter chasing down his deer.

"It's still warm. A werewolf." He stood up and searched the area. "An injured rogue." He added.

"Where could an injured rogue had gone when the trail he left is here." I questioned what has been on our minds. We looked at each other when an answer popped out like a light bulb. Slowly and cautiously, not to scare him or her, we glanced upwards - the trees.

Everything felt calmed, no wind blowing the leaves, the trees as still as it should be. Nothing felt out of place from a human point of view but we could see every each detail with clarity from the slick lizard camouflaging on the thick moss bark until the chirping chicks demanding to be feed.

Especially, the pale man hiding on top of the highest bark with mud covered his whole body like his own skin. A perfect blend in a forest but it wasn't only a forest - it belong to the Moonlight Pack. He was a bit lucky for picking today especially at this time, the warrior who was supposed to patrol this area was suddenly ill and this whole area was unguarded but he was unlucky because we felt like patrolling this area.

"Come down and we won't hurt you." Jack used his Beta voice to show authority, a weakling from this pack or even outside wouldn't be able to disobey his command. It was something only the Moonlight Pack had in the grasp of their hands. They had the power to command anyone due to their standing in the werewolf world.

However, he stayed still - not even wincing to the authority aura dispersed into the cold morning air. I could feel the tension and it wasn't only coming from Jack but also from the intruder.

Jack glanced at me with a raised eyebrow before giving another stern and more threatening order.

"I'll climb up and pull you by your tail if you don't surrender." Again the same respond.

"I'll gladly come up and do the honour of pushing you down." Now, he just sound psychotic with his smirk when I gave him a question looked.

"I'll get him." I couldn't wait any longer as I needed to have a quick look at the library that had started renovating last month. He approved of my approached and I swiftly and easily climb the tree which was due to my constant practice of hiding myself from the world or more specifically a someone. Within seconds, I was already on the same branch as him but a few inch back as not to startle him and make an unnecessary risks.

"Hey." I softly spoke to which I've gained his attention. Despite his courage of disobeying Jack's order, I could still see the fear in his eyes with bags of exhaustion under his eyes.

"You're hurt and we have a doctor to fix you up." No response except his fearful eyes had a tinged of caution.

"I won't hurt you." A shadow moved under us but never coming closer. Jack with all his strength, brains and other things are perfect except for his climbing skills. He could never save his life with his climbing skills.

"And I promise you, he won't either." I glared at the stupid threat he spoke while Jack had his attention for a split second before staring back at me.

"Please. You're bleeding out and you need help if you don't want to die." I pleaded as if his death would affect me greatly. "I rather die." That was his first few words which wasn't as pleasant as 'You need to kill me first before you take me down'.

"That's not true." He looked as if he was going to argue but he shut his mouth before any words could escape and enter my ears. His complexion was getting paler and his eyes was fighting to focus on me, he was losing too much blood and that had taken a big toll on his body especially with the amount of energy he need to stabilize on the bark while pressing down on his wound.

"If you wanted to die, you wouldn't hold that tree as if your life depends on it. You would have let go but you didn't. You want to live and you should. No one deserves to die even though they are someone who cheat, lie and leave you behind with so much pain that dying feels like an easy escape." I could feel Jack's burning with sympathy eyes on me while I stepped closer to the rogue - an inch just to test the water.

"and what I can see from your bleeding self and tight hold onto that tree is that you're still have the strength to fight and that whatever hurting you can only do as much and nothing more. I can see your desire to live and fight."

"So take my hand and lets get that checked out." I hold out my hand. He looked from my hand to my eyes, searching if I had any deception or sincerity. As sensing the latter, he free hand cautiously reached for mine but it was only a graze. The clock suddenly slowed down as his body lost its balanced and he was falling at very high point.

"Jack!" I shouted as my body hastily jumped off the bark as I tried to reach him. I could grabbed him and land properly ideally but that was impossible as I wouldn't have enough height to do so. However, I could soften his fall - breaking a few bones of mine were safer than him falling head first to the ground. He's body was weak and healing a hard fall was as thin as an egg shell.

I pushed myself with the help of the tree and I could almost reached him, just an inch apart, my eyes broke from our distance to his frightened eyes. I could see the tears building in his eyes as if what he was seeing now is the last thing he sees. I was as afraid as him but I still have time, as I thought, a picture of him hitting the ground and breaking every bones with a sickening sound made my heart stop.

"A little more." I yelled to myself as if those words would give encouragement to him and myself. We needed that little insurance as we fall to fate.

"Elly!" My eyes glanced behind him and saw that we were too near. The thought of us both not being able to break the fall was a new fear. This was the end for both of us. I was too occupied about saving him that I didn't see how far we had fallen or how things could go south so fast.

"Hang on!" I heard Jack screamed but it was impossible for him to save both of us. He needed to chose and I hope he choose the injured rogue who hold more fear than me. "It's going to be okay." I mouthed-out with a smile, I didn't expect him to take my lies to heart but he seemed less terrified.

The last thing I saw was his body being dragged sideways and a loud bang before I blacked out from the sudden excruciating pain.