Part. 23

Telling Miss O'Shea about the promise I made to myself after my mother might have been a mistake. Whatever I did, I pissed her off, I heard her and Dutch arguing about god knows what. Something about Dutch looking at 'her' (I'm assuming Mary-Beth), while Molly was threatening him. It just shows I was right. It's why I can't fall in love...not truly. I'll just end up like one of those two, or John and Abigail. It's just evidence that I was right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(F/N) was sitting on a log near the campfire, for once everything was quiet at camp. Hosea was out working on something. Susan was speaking with Mary-Beth about heaven. Even the normally sing-songy and loud Reverend Swanson, was out of it begging Herr Strauss for money.

(F/N) was doing the one thing he never thought he'd be doing: sitting across from Javier. He licked his lips as he looked at the Mexican who hated him, he was polishing his already shiny boots. (F/N) cleared his throat and coughed a few times, "So...how's living in the States been for you?"

Javier looked up from his boots at (F/N), he had an annoyed look on his face, he responded with a simple and snappy, "Fine."

(F/N) tried again, almost everyone liked him except for Javier, it was really weird, "You know, I'd love to go to Mexico one day. It seems like a nice place to visit."

The well-dressed outlaw didn't respond, (F/N) sighed, he gave up his usual get Javier to warm up to him attempt. (F/N) was about to walk off, but his favorite Irishmen came up to the two. Sean smirked at (F/N) then looked at Javier, he had that smug attitude, "You know, vanity is a sin, Mr. Escuella."

Javier looked at Sean then went back to his boots, his tone didn't change, "So is judging others, my little friend."

Sean walked up to Javier and put his leg on a box, "Me da used to say, 'the bigger the box, the smaller the gift.' If you know what I mean?"

(F/N) chuckled at Sean's joking, the other man wasn't so happy, he put both his legs to the ground and looked at Sean, he knew he wasn't going to get any peace, "Your da?"

Sean smiled, as he leaned forward, "Yeah, me da."

Javier scoffed, "From the sound of things he was quite something."

Sean nodded, happily, "Yeah he was."

Javier got up from the chair he was sitting on and leaned toward Sean saying "my father, he always say to me, 'if someone disrespects you fillet them with a knife.' If you know what I mean?"

Javier pointed at (F/N), his anger was rising, "He's come very close, many times."

(F/N) scooted down the log away from both of them, Sean scoffed and backed away slightly, "I wasn't disrespecting. I was just looking after your mortal soul, honest."

Javier put his boot on the same crate Sean had and pointed away making sure to look straight at him, "Get out of here, both of you."

(F/N) immediately got up, and walked away, as he did Sean yelled at him, "Least we know you ain't a vain man."

(F/N) looked down at his dirty duster coat, ratty jeans, and dull boots, he certainly didn't care about how he looked. But he still turned around and yelled back, "Well you ain't a wise one."

Sean laughed as he walked back to his tent, (F/N) shook his head but smiled as he walked towards the lake. They hadn't been here for long, but for (F/N) it felt like it was an eternity. Even though the woods and the lake were beautiful they were torture to him, they just served as a reminder. (F/N) was standing there when Lenny walked up to him, "Hey (F/N), you got a lot on?"