Part. 43

Those damn O'Driscolls, they took a friend from me. Kieran didn't have a lot of friends in camp, but I know he liked me. He saved Arthur's life...and for that, I am eternally grateful, my only regret is that I could never pay back the debt I felt I owed him. But I guess ever since he led us to the O'Dricoll cabin he was living on borrowed time. I wish we didn't have to deal with things like this, but we have to. Mrs. Adler fought braver than us all, I swear if I had a sister she would be a lot like her. I don't understand how she has that much rage pent up inside, I guess that's the dark side of love for you. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(F/N) sank the board of wood into the ground, then stepped back to look at the pile of dirt. He sighed, "This is a spot where horses come to graze. It's got open fields and it's warm year-round...you'll love it here."

The gunslinger looked at the ground, a wave of emotion hit him in the gut, "I can't keep doing this...I'm 19 years old, you're not supposed to bury this many friends at my age...you're not supposed to bury anyone at my age."

(F/N) took a deep shaky breath, this wasn't about him, it was about the recently departed. He nodded respectfully at the grave, and then turned and walked over to Bullseye, "I hope you like it here Kieran."

As (F/N) rode off he could almost feel Kieran's gaze on him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As (F/N) rode up to camp he was shocked at how quickly they had cleaned it up, there weren't a trace of dead bodies or bloodstains, although the camps change in demeanor was evidence something had happened. He hopped off of Bullseye, he had a frown on his face as well, he was in a bad mood. As (F/N) walked into camp Reverend Swanson quickly spotted him, he hobbled over to him, "Mr. (L/N)."

(F/N) turned around, he spoke politely, "Yes, Reverend?"

Swanson looked around nervously, and spoke in his slurred speech, "Does Dutch have anything concrete yet?"

(F/N) shook his head, he didn't care about planning for now, "Nothing he's telling me, why?"

Swanson shook his head, and ran a hand through his messy hair, "I'm scared, it's such a mess."

(F/N) patted him on the shoulder, "We'll be alright, we always are. You just worry about getting better alright. Try to kick the morphine."

Swanson shook his head, he looked even more scared, "Ohh I can't...believe me, I've tried...I can't."

(F/N) sighed, he didn't feel like beating around the bush, "Then I'm not gonna mince words with you. You're probably gonna die unless you clean up your act. Cause you can't keep doing this to yourself."

Swanson nodded, he tried to rattle off another reason, "I know...I just..."

(F/N) shook his head, "Be safe Reverend."

As he left Swanson, he turned his attention to the whole camp, they all looked down, and scared. (F/N) sighed, what was the point of fighting for the family if they were gonna fall apart from the inside?

(F/N) kept his thoughts to himself, it took one attack to drive a wedge into the camp, he needed to talk to someone about this. He found Mary-Beth knitting, he smiled at her, "Hey..."

The woman looked up at him, she looked as scared as the last time he had seen her: when they were both getting shot at. (F/N) sat down next to her, he tried to focus his attention on her, "You alright?"