Part. 84

(F/N) ran a hand through his short greasy hair, he didn't want to do this but he needed to, Seth Briars, his boss, was a really odd person. He had rarely ever spoken more than a sentence with the man, but he knew from the way the workers spoke about him he wasn't all there. (F/N) walked into the man's office, his boss's office was really just a platform that overlooked the yard, there was a tarp to block the sun out. It was a sunny, and humid, just like every other day in Saint Denis, the southern weather was usually the same.

Mr. Briars' was a small skinny man, with graying short hair, he was incredibly pale, he looked as if he had never seen the sun in his life. But he was also incredibly clean as well, the workers had suspected that the man was afraid of dirt and grime, a rumor which Mr. Briars had never denied or even acknowledged. (F/N) cleared his throat and tried to stand tall, "Mr. Briars?" There were papers thrown all over the platform, Seth was currently staring fixated on what looked like a map.

(F/N)'s boss looked away from the paper and at him, a smile spread across his face, "Well, well, well, if it isn't big Butch Cassidy, my seventh favor-ite worker. Why oh why am I being graced with your presence?"

(F/N) looked at Seth strangely, the rumors about him were definitely true, he was out there, he cleared his throat, "Well the thing is sir...I'm...uh..." Seth interrupted, "Well come on, out with it. I got more important things to look at." Seth was staring at the map from out of the corner of his eye, (F/N) cleared his throat, "I'm in need of more money, I was wondering if you had some jobs that could make some quick cash."

Seth smiled and stood up, "QUICK CASH? That I can understand!" (F/N) took a step back, his boss' behavior was freaking him out. The small man walked up to him and whispered to him as if there were people who might be listening, "Between you and me Butch. I think I'm onto something good."

(F/N) raised an eyebrow, he was curious if it was something he could get in on, "Good? How good?"

Seth got a paranoid look on his face and took a few steps back, "Oh I ain't telling you that. They're listening."

The retired outlaw sighed, "Sir, I don't mean to sound short but I really need money as soon as possible."

The crazed man nodded, "Oh of course, partner of course. Between you and me I hate this job, I hate this business, I want out, and that map's the key to it."

Seth pointed at the piece of paper he had been staring at, (F/N) looked at him even more confused, "What map's that then?"

His boss freaked out again, "THE MAP! The map that tells me where it is!"

(F/N) swallowed and sighed, "Mr. Briars, please I really..." Seth interrupted again, "Need the work? Yes, yes I can do that. Stephen and Alex...they were going to send an order of wooden boards, up to Pronghorn Ranch near Strawberry, they's building a fence. Since there's bandits and a couple gangs on the way, I need a third man. You'll need a gun and you'll be gone for a few days, but I'll pay you your regular salary plus fifty dollars."

(F/N)'s eyes widened, fifty dollars was a lot of money, he could do that, the trick would be convincing Mary-Beth to go along with it, "Mr. Briars...I...I'd have to convince my wife. But I think I can do it." Seth nodded and went back to his desk to stare at the map, "Good, good. You ride out tomorrow morning, bye Butch Cassidy."

(F/N) smiled as he walked away from his deranged boss, as soon as he was far away enough he let out a sigh of relief, "Yes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"No," Mary-Beth replied as she took a spoonful of the stew she had made, as soon as he had told her exactly what Seth had offered him, that was the first word out of her mouth. (F/N) looked at her, "What do you mean, no? I wasn't asking." His wife sighed and stood up from the small table in the main room, "I mean no. You can't just leave for a couple days, and head up North. What if those men come back?"