044

Past Memories

EunMin would be lying if she said that she hadn't been avoiding going home by staying at Anpanman overtime. While she was indeed using every second possible to find him, she was also avoiding the place that reminded her of him.

After a long day at Anpanman with no success, the trio heads home. The youngest offering to drive since the girl is too distracted, just quietly staring out the window the whole time.

EunMin sighs as she flips the switch on by the entrance and takes off her shoes, slowly stepping into the apartment with heavy steps.

"I'm going to wash up first." She announces without making much eye contact as she walks away.

The boys exchange a worried glance but give her her space, their ears dropping as they hear the faucet turn on. They were surprised that the detective had been holding up, and they can tell how much Namjoon means to her by the way she was acting, like a part of her was lost.

An hour later, EunMin comes out from the bathroom, a towel resting on her shoulders as she heads towards her room. As she goes through the drawers to find a comfortable shirt, she finds an old picture frame.

Her fingers gently trace the picture before a sob escapes her lips. She quickly covers her mouth to muffle the sound, but it was too late, soon the door bursts open with two worried hybrids crouching down next to her as she cries on the floor, not hesitating to wrap their arms around her.

When the girl's sobs are reduced to sniffles, the boys carefully help her to the bed, their eyes saddening when they see the picture she was holding.

Jungkook gently holds out his hand and places it on top of hers, with Taehyung tilting her head to the side so that its rests on his shoulder. EunMin lets out a soft breath and places the picture on her lap, giving the boys a better view.

Just like the hybrids suspected, the detectives have known each other for a long time, the picture proof of it. Jungkook smiles as he sees the young detectives in what looks to be their high school years, depicting Namjoon with his graduation gown while EunMin is wearing her uniform, their arms wrapped around each other as they smile brightly at the camera.

The detectives have always been reluctant to talk about the past so Jungkook is hesitant to ask but he feels like it's time they learn more about them.

"Noona," he starts softly, "how did you and Namjoon hyung meet?"

"Well, it's not the best story." EunMin says with a sniffle. "But I guess there's no harm in telling you."

Both boys give her a nod and scoot closer, attentive to what she has to say.

"Well, we both ran away from home when we were really young and met on the streets," EunMin starts, "living and surviving on the streets wasn't easy but somehow we made it through. We got different jobs that weren't the best but allowed us to survive and we constantly had to be on the run so we wouldn't be taken into the foster care." She pauses taking a deep breath.

"Namjoon really tried his best to take as many jobs as possible to provide for us but not a lot of people wanted to hire a sixteen year old boy, so we did our best with what we had. Still, he never gave up and always took care of me."

"One day we got in trouble and got caught." EunMin says standing up to bring another picture. "That's how we met detective Choi. When we were taken to the station and he realized our situation, he took us under his wing and cared for us as his own family." She says, a ghost of a smile on her lips as she recalls the memory.

"This apartment is actually his. We used lived in this apartment together." She says managing to give the boys a faint smile, who nod as they look at the picture of the detective.

When the hybrids first came to the apartment, they could tell that someone else used to live there. That someone being Namjoon, but there was no scent of another person.

"He was the closest person we had to a paternal figure and he always encouraged us to try our best despite our circumstances, believing that we could turn our lives around and succeed no matter what our past had been. So we tried our best as a way of thanking him for believing in us when no one else did."

"What happened to detective Choi?" Taehyung asks.

"We had just started college when one day we got the call." EunMin says putting the pictures back in their place. "He was murdered while working on one of the cases."

Jungkook recalls how Namjoon said that they changed their major after something happened. Now it made sense why the detectives were so quick and determined to close cases.

"Ever since then, it has just been Namjoon and I." She says, her eyes getting watery once more as she looks at the boys. "I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's okay." Taehyung says wrapping his arms around her smaller frame. "You don't have to hold back EunMin, it's okay to cry." He adds, the girl holding him tighter.

"We miss hyung too." Jungkook says joining the hug, a few tears running down his face as well. "We may not know him as well as you do, but he means a lot to us."

"He is my best friend, my family and the love of my life." EunMin sobs out. "He's the only person I have left and I don't want to lose him. I-I can't."

"I don't know what I'm going to do if he doesn't make it back." She croaks out.

The boys nod in understanding and deepen the hug. They could completely agree with her. If something happened to Yoongi or anyone else they were close to for that matter, the boys wouldn't know what to do. But now it was clearer than before, the detectives are more than just friends, they are family.

Even if it was the last thing they do, they will find the detective.

"We'll find him noona." Jungkook reassures, determination flowing through his veins. "No matter what."

Sorry for the delay in the update

Sorry for the delay in the update. I know it's later than usual but I managed to finish it on time^^
We finally find out how the detectives met. What do you think? How did you picture EunMin and Namjoon met?
A clue to the secret has been revealed, and more clues will be given as the next chapters come...
Thank you for reading!
~Van
(2020.06.14)