Rangers

Toni's POV
We're walking around Dallas after winning the semi finals and Cher kisses my cheek
"What was that for?" I ask
"Just because I'm proud of you," she says "you're a really good coach,"
"Thanks babe,"
She smiles and squeezes my hand.
"You seem so different lately," she says
"In what way?" I ask "I have less leg if that's what you mean,"
"You're a doorknob, I'm not talking about your leg. You seem like you were in high school, like when you were living so freely and for everyday? Like when you thought you were going to die,"
"That's crazy babe, I'm just happy," I lie
"You're a bad liar Tones, I'm not going to push- but I know you're lying to me,"
"How's the baby?" I ask changing the subject
"They're kicking up a storm," She giggles
I laugh and we keep walking
"Are you excited for the baseball game?"
"I've never been to one so yes I'm very excited," she says
"You've never been to a baseball game,"
"No football players were more my type," she flirts
"I feel like a terrible wife, we should have gone on at least one baseball date,"
I'm throwing the first pitch for the Texas Rangers today, so the team, coaching staff, and our families decided to come out to it
We stop outside the fields to take some pictures and get organized.
I just hold Cher's hips and stare into her eyes
They're so pretty
"You're funny TT," she laughs after a while
"You're beautiful babe,"
"So are you," She says
I peck her lips and then pick Lexi up
"How are you today girlie? You've been really quiet,"
"Mama are you sick?" She asks
"I'm not sick why would I be sick,"
"You're different mama, and your voice is changing,"
"My voice is the same sweetheart, I'm alright," I say kissing her cheek
"We are watching more football?" She asks
"Baseball," I say "different sport,"
"Oh okay,"
We go inside and I get them to our seats and then have to head down.
"Be good monster," I say fixing Tony's hair
"Mama no go pwease,"
"Mama is going to be gone for half an hour and you're going to see me- right down there," I say pointing "I promise, okay baby boy,"
"Okay," he says
I kiss his head and then go down to the area I was supposed to meet the person who contacted me.
"Toni Topaz?"
"Yes, hi," I say turning around
"I'm Janice Fowelt,"
"Nice to meet you,"
"We are so glad to have you hear with us today, I see you already have your jersey so let's go,"
She runs me through what's happening and then asks me to do some press.
"What's most important about today for you?"
"Well a lot of things have been going right for me lately and I know and I've been shown why never to take anything for granted so the opportunity not only to be here standing and show that I withstood the storm but also showing the boys on my team all the change you can make if you stay in the right path and if you keep your head down- you can make a difference,"
"How has life been since getting back from overseas?"
"It's been amazing, I came back to a very different life. I had a kid waiting for me, a wife who I had lost contact with for a few weeks at a time. I never went that long without talking to or being with Cher so that was hard on both of us and not knowing or seeing my daughter was really hard," I say "but coming back was good for me, one less leg but a lot of perspective now,"
"How is Cheryl?"
"She's doing well, she's amazing with the kids and she's about 6 months pregnant right now so we're really excited about that,"
"Girl or boy?"
"Girl, we found out before we left,"
"Congratulations Toni, we'll catch up with you later,"
"Thank you," I nod
I walk to the dugout while they do opening ceremonies and introductions
"And Team New York's head coach, retired army Sargeant, 4 time NCAA All American Quarterback and USA's only two time national and global champion quarterback, Toni Topaz is here to throw the ceremonial first pitch,"
I walk out and wave as people start cheering.
They hand me the ball and I throw it at the catcher.
"Strike!" The announcer yells
The catcher shakes my hand and gives me to ball
"Good luck in the rest of your tournament coach," he says
"Thank you," I nod
I go back upstairs and to our box.
"Tones!" Cher says as I get in
"Hey babe," I laugh kissing her cheek
"We saw your interview," she says "you did well,"
"Thank you," I laugh
We sit down and watch the first couple innings and I go on my phone.
Toni, your lawsuit and charges against Dylan Moore has been filed and the court has pressed for his immediate incarceration.
This information will go public within the hour.
"Uh Cher I gotta call the lawyer," I say standing up
"Why Baby,"
"I'll be right back," I say standing up and running into the hallway
"Colin What the hell,"
"What's wrong Toni?"
"My papers against Dylan just went through?"
"Well maybe ya, I haven't heard anything,"
"I got the email. I told you- I didn't want to pursue this anymore, I decided that junior year,"
"Must not have gotten the retraction,"
"Well it's going live so get all the evidence out of the lock up- this is your fight now,"
I hang up and shake my head
"Cher I need to talk to you," I say poking her shoulder
She stands up and walks with me back to the hallway
"You are going to see something that I hoped never came out," I sigh
"What?" She asks
"Remember in sophomore year when we were fighting? When we thought we got married to young and fought for like 2 weeks?"
"Ya?" She says "we both said we didn't do anything during those two weeks,"
"Well I lied," I sigh
"You slept with someone when we were one that break?" She asks
"No I was assaulted, a guy on my football team invited me to a party and I went and he roofied me,"
"Babe I don't understand, why did you never tell me this?"
"I was scared Cher, no one was going to believe me- people don't just have this stuff happen to them all the time! No one was going to believe me!"
"I would've!" She yells
"I- I know but we weren't talking and I filed a lawsuit against him and never heard anything. The courts just got it and it's coming out,"
"I'm mad at you,"
"Cher cmon,"
"Toni you've held this in for almost a decade! You never told me, you never told Reggie- because he would've told me," she says "plus I specifically asked if you slept with anyone,"
"And I didn't! He just tried to assault me babe please believe me,"
"Of course I believe you Toni- but I hate that you lied to me," she turns around and walks away
"Cher,"
"Tones I need a minute okay?" She asks
"Okay,"
She goes in and sits with the kids and I sit with Reggie and RJ
"Can I have a beer please?" I ask the guy at the bar
"Doesn't your wife not want you to drink,"
"My wife hates me right now," I sigh taking it from him "so I don't care,"
"Why does she hate you," RJ asks
The tv flashes above us and catches Reggie's attention.
"I'm guessing that?" He asks
TOPAZ suing MOORE?
Former teammates at opposite sides of high profile lawsuit.
"Why are you suing Dilly?"
"He roofied me and tried to assault me in sophomore year," I say looking at my hands "and I filed while Cher and I were fighting and it never went through until now,"
"And she's not talking to you because.."
"I lied to her for a decade,"
"Fair enough," RJ says
We watch the rest of the game and I go to hell Cher with the kids
"Can you pick up your son or are you to drunk to do so?" She snaps
"I had half a beer," I say "calm down,"
"Don't tell me to calm down," she says "I see we're already on the fucking news,"
"Cher please,"
"Toni don't- I'm not in the mood," she says
Liv picks Lexi up and Liz takes TJ.
"C'mon babies, lets let your mommies figure this out okay?" Liz says
I nod and silently thank them and Cher and I go to a bench.
"Toni, this fucking sucks," she says "I could've helped you,"
"I know Cher and I'm sorry, it wasn't something that dramatically changed me, I was okay,"
"You sat in a room with him played football with him for 3 years after that!"
"I did," I sigh "I'm sorry, I was scared Cher, this wasn't supposed to come out. Not like this,"
"I'm just glad you're okay," she says
I hug her and she kisses the side of my head
"I'm sorry I got angry, but never lie to me again. Not these big lies, never again Toni," She says "should I know about anymore lawsuits?"
"No..." i sigh "but."
"But what Antoinette?"
"But I didn't tell you something.. something big,"
"What?" She asks
"I'm dying," I say
"Toni don't joke around please," she says punching my shoulder
"Cher I'm not," I say pursing my lips "I have about 16 months babe, I'm sorry,"
"W-what are you talking about toni?"
"I have a blood infection, that's what made me fall," I say "the military doctors confirmed it and I didn't want to tell you until you had the baby,"
"Youre only 27,"
"I am, but I'm not making it to 30,"
"You're lying, Toni not everything's a joke,"
"Baby I'm not joking," I say grabbing her hands "I'm dying, very soon and we can't do anything about it- except live,"
She starts crying and buries her head into a hug
"I can't do this without you," she cries
"You can, you can baby," I whisper
"I'm scared,"
"I know, so am I,"
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I didn't want the baby to be hurt, I didn't want you to stress yourself out. It's 16 months, we can have a great time and then- you continue it on,"
"And you've had no one to talk to?"
"Reggie knows,"
She nods and dries her tears.
"Good, I'm glad you talked to someone,"
I hug her again and squeeze her tight
"We'll be good Cher, 16 months isn't nothing,"