Hard Talk

Cheryls POV

It's been a few days, Mias doing better. TJ is healing well and Toni is back on her feet and doing better.

"Tones maybe we should go out as a family tonight? Dinner and a movie?"

"TJ, Lexi, and I were going to the fields to work on a few things,"

"And MIAs with Lizzy and Livvy," I hum kissing her cheek "I've wanted to have a night out with Kaylee lately anyways, she's been kinda left behind Anyways,"

"Cause she's the best behaved," she laughs kissing me "you want Maté or you want me to take him?"

"You take him,"

She nods and kisses me.

"Have fun honey,"

"You too,"

She leaves and I go upstairs.

"Hey Kayc, we haven't hung out in forever. You wanna go out for dinner and catch a movie?" I ask standing at her door

"I guess," she shrugs

"What's wrong honey?"

"Nothing,"

She gets up and we drive in silence.

"Baby what's wrong?" I ask "you've barely talked,"

"Why did you even wanna eat with me?"

"Because we haven't hung out recently, and I feel bad KC,"

"And all of your real kids were busy already,"

"Honey what are you talking about?"

"I get it okay. I'm not as smart as Mia or as athletic as Tony or Lexi. And I don't have an amputation like Mateo so I'm not on the top of.."

"Woah woah KC," I say grabbing her hand "baby is that how you feel?"

She nods and shrugs

"No ones talked to me or asked how school was or anything," she says "I get it, I'm not actually your kid. You got me when you thought Toni was dead and I'm slower than the others. I just don't get anything as fast,"

"Oh baby," I say hugging her "We don't love you any less because your adopted. Never think that. It's been so hard lately, and that's not your fault okay? It's my fault. I'm so sorry baby girl okay. I shouldn't have stopped checking in on you,"

We go in and sit down

"Why did my birth mom give me up? Did I do something wrong?"

"Not at all KC. She was young and going through a lot of health problems,"

"Is she okay?"

"She was when you were born, I don't know where she is now," I sigh "and I adopted you because they asked me to take in a little girl. And when I got to the hospital I looked at you.. and I knew you were a special kid. You were smaller than my other babies, you were sleeping, and when I picked you up you didn't cry," I laugh "and you looked at me and you were my daughter KC. You were born to be my daughter sweetheart,"

"Did you pick my name or did she?"

"I did baby,"

"Why?"

"Kaylee and Cameron were mamas favourite name but they didn't suit Mia or Lexi, and Blossom is my maiden name,"

"Maiden name?"

"Before I married Mama my last name was Blossom,"

"Did she want a baby? Before she left?"

"She loves babies," I laugh "I don't know if she ever thought about it since she was so sick but she loved you since the day you were born sweetheart,"

"She met me when I was born?" She asks

"She saw you when you were ten hours old," I smile

I pull out the picture I have of Toni of the first time she held KC.

"Have you ever seen this photo?"

"It's in the living room," she says taking my phone "I always thought it was Mia,"

"It's you," I smile "she came back the same day I went to to the hospital for you,"

"I'm sorry mom," she says looking back at me "it's just hard sometimes cause every body at school makes fun of me because I'm not actually like Mia or Lexi or TJ,"

"I didn't know that baby,"

"Just little things they say,"

"You're just as much my daughter as Lexi and Mia," I say rubbing her arm "and you were definitely the easiest out of all of them,"

We eat and then go to the movies.

"Mommy?"

"Yes?"

"Can we do this more often? Hangout?"

"Of course KC," I smile kissing her head

"Ma'am," someone says stopping me

I turn around a man is holding my purse... that I thought I left in my car.

"I think you forgot this,"

"Oh thank you," I say with a small smile

"I'm Ben,"

"Cheryl, I should.."

"Is this your daughter?" He asks

"KC hides behind me a bit,"

"She is, we have to.."

"But I don't see a husband around,"

"I'm actually.."

"Wanna go to dinner with me?"

"I actually can't, my wife is at home with our other kids,"

"Wife?"

"We have to get going, it's was nice to meet you,"

I hurry KC away and to the car.

"He was weird,"

"Yes he was," I sigh "if anyone ever makes you uncomfortable like that, you get away as quickly and safely as possible okay?"

"I promise mommy,"

"That's my girl,"

She plays on my phone and is stopped at a picture when I get home.

"This lady is the one who said goodnight to me in Europe mommy," she says "I remember it wasn't you! It was her, ive seen her in Riverdale too!!"

Ellie?

"When did you see her?"

"Like a month ago? She was talking to... my teacher! Cause I yelled mommy and she didn't turn around,"

"Sweetie if you ever see this lady, you talk to me or mama right away okay?"

"Okay,"

We go inside and she goes upstairs to talk to Mia and I walk to the kitchen and Tonis putting Maté to sleep.

I go up behind her and put my hands on her hips

"Hey baby, how was dinner?"

"It was good. I had to have a pretty hard conversation with Kayc,"

"About what?"

"Her being adopted. She felt like we kinda ignored her when everything happened and she was confused about being adopted and if you wanted her or were just stuck with her,"

"Oh my poor baby," she says looking up at me "is she okay now?"

"More than fine love, but maybe go talk to her? I'll take Mate,"

"The others are all settling down,"

"I'll see you upstairs,"

She kisses me and I bounce Maté