Back

Cheryl's POV
Toni's been home for about a week and Rob still won't talk to her.
Toni's hanging out with the little ones so I go upstairs to Robbies room.
"Hey Mom," he says putting his phone down
"Robs can we talk for a bit?"
"Sure, what about?"
"Toni,"
He clenches his jaw and loses eye contact
"No thanks,"
"Robbie, I understand you're upset with her but I would love if you talked to me about why,"
"Because I don't want to get close to her again. Cheryl I can't lose her. She was my favourite person, my role model and she left Cheryl. I can't do that again,"
"And she's promised me that she's in perfect health. She's going to be okay, and she knows it's confusing and that it hurts you to see her after starting to heal. I'm going to be honest, it's hurting her not being able to talk to you or play with the ball,"
"It is?" He asks
"She hasn't been the same and been really upset at nights,"
"I'm sorry," he says
"It's alright rob," I say messing his hair up "she still loves you so so much,"
I kiss his forehead and smile
"Just think about it,"
He nods and I get up to leave
"Ralphy is welcome at dinner if you would like to ask him,"
"Thank you,"
I nod and leave
"Mommy mommy!" TJ says running towards me
"Hey baby boy what's going on?"
"Mama got me a big boy football,"
"That's so cool, where is Mama?"
"She's outside with KC and Lexi and Mia,"
"Let's go see them sweetheart,"
I pick him up and bounce him
"You're getting bigger baby boy,"
"I'm going to be bigger than Mama,"
"Yes you are Tony,"
I go outside and sit on the grass beside Toni.
"Hey baby," she says kissing my cheek
"Hi tones how are you?"
"I'm good, how are you?"
"How could I not be good with these 4 cutie pies," she says bouncing KC
"Can I have my baby?" I ask
She nods nods and hands me KC.
"Hey girlie how are you?"
She giggles and so do I.
"Mama I accidentally put the ball near the pool," TJ yells
"I'll be back," she laughs

Toni's POV
I go and open the gate to grab TJs ball.
"Sorry mama,"
"It's alright monster, Im just glad you didn't try to get it yourself,"
He grabs the ball and runs out so he can keep playing with the ball.
Reggie texts me about practice and I swear.
"C, I forgot about practice. I'm sorry baby," I sigh
"It's okay tones, wanna bring Mia though?"
"Sure," I say picking her up "Lexi, TJ be good for mommy,"
"We will mama," Lexi says
"I know babygirl,"
I kneel down and kiss Cher's cheek.
"I'll be back right after practice,"
"Pick up dinner?" She asks
"Sure,"
I get Mia in the car and head to the fields.
RJ and Georgie are there so MIA plays with them so I can go see the boys for film.
We do film and practice slowly and parents start showing up to pick the boys up so we end the practice early. A few boys hang around to mess around but most of them go to the locker room
I wanted to talk to a few parents so I ask Reggie if he can watch Mia
"Of course, I love one on one time with my favourite niece," he says taking her
"Thank you,"
I walk over and talk to a few parents before wanting to go back.
"Coach Topaz?" A man asks
"Hi, how are you? Is your son new to the team?"
"No my son never made the team," he hisses
"I think you're looking for Coach Mantle, I had no say in this years cuts,"
"He was cut last year, Santi. He had colleges looking at him but you put in a homophobic slur suspension and a hitting suspension so they all dropped him,"
"Sir I'm sorry but that was way out of my control. He had beaten up a kid on the team and he admitted to using homophobic slurs directed and the kid and myself,"
"At your kid you mean," he says getting in my face
"It doesn't matter what kid it was. I had a zero tolerance policy for that type of behaviour and we have quite a bit of kids on the team who are part of the LGBTQ community so it was out of my hands,"
He punches me in the mouth and sucker punches me up the stomach.
"You can't ruin kids futures because you're a dyke," he says kneeing me in the head since I'm bent over in pain
He grabs my hair and pulls it back so I'm looking at him
"You think pulling dumb little stunts are cool, and that you're doing the greater good but you're not- you ended my sons career,"
He winds up to punch me again and I brace for the impact.
Someone grabs his hand from behind him and then steps in between me and him
"Leave my mom the hell alone," Robbie snaps "what the fuck is wrong with you dude?"
"Your slut of a mom cut my son,"
"So what? Doesn't mean you have to beat her the fuck up. Touch her again and you're going have to fucking deal with me,"
"Robs it's ok.." I start
"No it's not mom," he says "you can't just beat people up, never mind a mother of 5 for no fucking reason,"
"She's a fag, like you," he snaps
Robbie pushes him and Ralphy comes over to back him up
"You can't say that dude," Ralphy says
Ralphy and Robbie are both pretty big kids now so they're both at eye level with this guy.
"What are you going to do to me?" The man threatens
"Nothing unless you try and touch my mom ever again,"
The guy walks away and Rob turns to Ralphy.
"Ral, can you give me a minute?"
"Sure babe,"
He goes to the locker room and Robbie hugs me.
"I'm sorry for being such a dick since you've been home. I was scared you were going to leave again and I'd have to do everything all over again. It's no excuse, but I was just scared,"
"It's alright Rob, I knew it was going to be hard on you. I'm sorry for putting you through all that for nothing. I truly thought it wasn't going to make a difference,"
"Toni the best thing thing that could've happened was you coming home," he says "I love you,"
"I love you too Rob,"
He lets go of the hug and looks at my face
"You're going to have a black eye," he sighs "and your nose and mouth are bleeding,"
"I'll be okay Robs, don't worry,"
"I'm sorry I didn't come over faster. We were joking around and I didn't see it happening,"
"No one did Rob, it's okay. Go get changed I'm sure Cheryl's getting hungry,"
"Actually Ralph is coming over for dinner and he said he'd drive me. If that's okay of course,"
"No problem Rob, be quick though- I'm stopping to pick dinner up,"
"I will be," he says "sorry again,"
"Don't be sorry Robbie,"
He leaves and Principal Danvers walks over to me.
"Coach Topaz a parent has put in a complaint against you,"
"Was it Santi's dad? Because the man just beat me up so I Would like to complain about him,"
"It was, he said you cut his son because he's straight,"
"I cut his son because he beat up Robbie and used the multiple homophobic slurs- which he admitted to infront of me and Tyler and Reggie," I say "I reported it to USA Football and they suspended him,"
"What happened to your face?" He asks
"That man just attacked me," I say "My quarterback and running back had to scare him off,"
He leaves shaking his head and I go over to take Mia from Reggie.
She's crying so I take her and bounce her
"What happened to your face T?" Reggie asks
"I'm okay," I whisper "someone was angry with me, but I'm okay. Why is she crying?"
"She said she was sad,"
"Oh babygirl don't be sad," I whisper kissing her forehead "you're alright sweetheart, I promise you're alright,"
"Mama bad man hurt you," she cries
"He did baby but I'm okay,"
"You aren't leaving?"
"No babygirl," I say hugging her "I'm going to be staying here right now,"
"Okay?"
"I'm okay sweetheart, mamas okay,"
"Go home see mommy?"
"Sure baby, lets go and see mommy,"
I pick up pizza and then we get home.
"Mamas home, see Tony?" She says to TJ
"What's wrong?" I ask
"He missed you,"
"Hi baby boy," I say kissing his head
"Babe what happened to your face?"
"We'll talk about it later," I say kissing her cheek
"Bad man hit mama," Mia says starting to cry again
Cher takes her from me and bounces her
"Mama is going to be okay,"
"No bad man yell and hit," Mia says still crying "mama gunna leave again,"
"No sweetheart, Mama is not leaving again okay? She's okay,"
"Mama okay?"
"Mamas okay sweetheart, I promise okay?"
She nods and Cher kisses her Temple
"Baby, why don't you and TJ go and wash your hands for dinner okay?"
She nods and Cher puts her down
They leave and they turn to her
"Bad man?"
"The kid that beat Rob up for being bi- his dad was not happy with me," I sigh "I'm alright,"
"Did Rob see this?"
"He stopped him, he's okay. So am I okay?"
"Fine, I'll let it go- I just like your pretty face,"
"Ya? I like your pretty face too,"
She kisses me and I laugh
"Mama?" Lexi asks "can we have dinner now?"
"Of course Lex," I smile
She helps me bring the pizzas in and Rob and Ralph walk in too.

I can't believe I'm actually back with my family.