The Core Challenge

Wei Wuxian

Lan Wangji escorted them to one of the main buildings named the Underworld Chamber. The place was heavily sealed with layer after layer of insanely strong wards. The young jade patiently removed them all in his now, usual silence, to finally open the magical doors with a spiritual talisman. Deep down, Wei Wuaxian could feel the strong power of something he had never felt before. It wasn't exactly dark energy, because he knew how a great concentration of it felt like, when the Burial Mounds were so close to their Clans... then, was it white energy instead?

The legend of the energy balance said that several centuries ago, the world was created with a perfect balance of white (yang) and dark (yin) energy by the gods. However, there was a time in which humanity fought a bloody magical war that ended with  the destruction of the balance of the world. Most of the white energy was lost back then, submerging the world into an era of darkness and chaos that still remains into this days, filled with overwhelming dark energy all over the continent.

That era was known as the Dark World and it was the time in which those killed in wars, fights, common murders, indiscriminate slaughter or injustices, raised from their tombs and walked the earth as corps that seek blood, death and destruction. The only way to survive, for those unfortunate to live in such a dark period, was to join the immortal Clans and live under their protection and wards. A living under huge domes of energy that kept the corpses at bay outside the barriers.

Those Clans that could created strong barriers that safeguarded towns and cities around them, survived such a world of darkness without much struggling other than hunt down the corpses, but the smaller Clans with low cultivation, perish in less than a year or integrate into the bigger ones. Then, a group of immortals, sacrifice their great spiritual power on the biggest array ever created to try mend the balance, even if it was to restore a small portion of the lost white energy and succeeded partially.

After the sacrifice, white energy begin to flow around the world, making the corpses less fierce and easier to handle even by smaller Clans. However the small amount was not enough to keep the dead resting in their tombs and some places remained more tainted than others. The north was the most blessed with more white energy, the energy of life, meaning it had magical places, like the floating islands, vivid gardens, great harvest, rain, less hard winters and less fierce corpses, while the east was cursed with more darkness and harsher way of life.

Just been close to the Underworld Chamber, Wei Wuxian could tell, that deep down there was a great amount of white energy storage, perhaps that was the reason the islands floated and the gardens were so magically stunning. There was also an air of peace in the whole set of connected islands, which make Lan Wangji so hard to read. In a peaceful environment, surrounded by the wonders of a naturally magical place, along with the Clan's practice of righteousness, the Second Master Lan, had learn to seriously cultivate that white energy, letting go of trivial feelings.

It was actually quite admirable of him, he didn't need many feeling in a relative perfect place like that and it heightened his cultivation exponentially, becoming the second strongest in the entire Lan Clan, only falling behind his own brother, who was older and thus, have cultivated a golden core for a longer period and study under the guidance of the immortals years before.

It was because of that the people begin calling them the twin jades of the Lan Clan, not only because they looked similar, but also because they reached a level of harmony, internal and external that make them desired beauties and it was quite right.

Wait, beauties? Since when he had find men beautiful before leaving the east? It must be the atmosphere or the magic of the islands. Wei Wuxian thought as he once again followed Lan Zhan, dressed in that shining mourning white, that as of tomorrow it was going to become a part of him too.