The Cold Lake

Wei Wuxian

After they run away from the angered old woman, laughing like little kids, they reached the Inn without encountering more people. Fortunately, the suggested Inn was open at that early hour and they paid for a room where they could finally lay down the heavy Jin Zixuan. Seen that the Inn had a lovely backyard with tables, they order breakfast for all, to share it outside, where they could had more privacy.

Jiang Yanli had offer to stay with her fiancé until he wakes up, to explain him what happen, but surprisingly enough, his sword spirit (Suihua) had come out of his blade and told her to go down with the rest of the group and have something to eat for the hard day ahead of them, as he was going to take care of his Master for her.

Suihua told her this with great respect, which greatly pleased Jiang Cheng, because at least the handsome sword spirit was less arrogant than his Master. Thus, they go out into the nice backyard with a few plum trees for a beautiful view and with tables they united, so they all could sit together and had a small talk. A pretty waitress served them, putting down the many plates with delicately and Wei Ying smiled at her as she put them over the extended table.

"Students from the islands?" The waitress asked him, smiling back.

"Yeah, we are here as part of this year gathering." Wei Ying answer, having a small taste of the delicious breakfast.

"Wei Ying, food is not spoken." Wangji, sat by his side said in a low tone.

"Ah, Lan Zhan, we are not in the Cloud Recesses and how are we supposed to know each other if we don't speak?" Wei Ying asked and Wangji remained silent, tasting his tea instead. The waitress smiled in return.

"It's good to have so many students around. They said it gets lively in town in each gathering. Where you sent here to investigate the odds happenings near the Cold Lake?" The waitress asked, thinking they had go down to investigate the case that had the neighbors of the lake quite frightened.

"What do you mean?" Wangji asked immediately. The town was under the Lan Clan protection and anything happening in there was theirs to investigate and resolve, if there was the need. The young woman looked at the younger Jade with excitement, because not every day you get to see one of the beautiful jewels of the Lan Clan and even less speak with him.

"Oh, you don't know yet? A few months ago some strange things begin to happen around the Cold Lake. At night the lake its cover with a dark mist, while the ice melt for a few hours. Those who lived close to the lake said that strange noises come from inside the lake. Also, wild animals that wonder into the forest that surrounds the lake became feral, trying to prey on the neighbors. The doors are left with claw marks from supposedly wild dogs and there are some who said are also marked by an unknown man eating beast that lives inside the lake and it's released when the ice melt." The waitress explained in details.

"Excuse me." Lan Zhan said, standing up and moving away from the group. Wei Ying make the attempt to follow him, however, just by mentioning wild dogs, it make him have gosebumps, paralyzing him into his seat and Wangji was well aware of it, but it was his duty to go investigate.

It was actually strange that such case had not reach his brother, otherwise he would had been sent to investigate it right away. He try to use a teleporting talisman, but maybe because Lord Zheng had send them there, the talisman didn't work at all.

Next he try to send his brother a spiritual message by spiritual butterfly, which burst into flames immediately. Obviously, the white spirit of the islands had make sure they will not try to go back by any means, not even to reach Xichen normally. There was only one way left...