• everything i've ever wanted •

i run back to him and hug him.

we lay there and hug.
like nothing happened.
like everything is normal.
like we're okay.

i pull away and sit back on the chair, "look ruel, i'm so sorry i ignored you, i shouldn't have.. i- i was just-"

"y/n, i get it, it's okay. you where upset i understand. i'm not mad." ruel's still smiling. "i promise."

"so why are you in the hospital?" i quickly change the subject. "harrison told me it wasn't bad-"

"well it is pretty bad..."

"oh ruel." i rub his shoulder, he's going to get into so much trouble when he comes back.

"oh, um, y/n?" ruel's eyes widen.

"yes?"

"um, while you where gone, your art teacher told me to tell you that it's too late to join the competition thing."

i almost laugh, the art competition.
i didn't really want to do it because i don't do art for show, it's just a hobby i did to get my mind off stuff but now it's music.

i just nod. he smiles again and lays back down on the bed. he winces a bit but tries to hide it. poor ruel.

we chat about random things.
he catches me up on school stuff.

i try so hard not to just cry again because all this weight, all this pressure of trying to be someone i'm not just keeps getting to my head.
and yes. i should tell ruel about my life.
now that sam has passed, no one except owen knows. and owen doesn't count. owen is barely in my life. okay, well, he does feed me, provide housing, and school but i never see him.

i want to tell him. maybe i will. maybe i won't. i'll decide when i'm ready.

ruels pov:

she leaves just after 8pm. when visiting hours close. her h/l, h/c hair swaying beautifully as she walked out the door.
she was perfect, everything about her was. yet i could tell she was drowning in something that i couldn't put my finger on.

i close my eyes, i just want to be out of here, out of the hospital-just free of everything.

i end up falling asleep early that night.

* * *

i wake with the morning sun glaring into me like a spotlight on stage.
my mum and dad where sitting on the chairs next to me. i haven't seen them yet.

"ruel." mum says as a tear falls down her cheek.

my dad smiles at me as they both pull me into a hug.

"guys, i'm so sorry, i didn't mean for it to happen-" i begin to explain.

"it's okay." my mum holds my hands, "kate and harrison where there and they explained everything to the principle, he understands the circumstances."

i was shocked, what great friends they are, "so no punishment?"

"oh you're suspended for two days for the fight but the jerks who started it are suspended for two weeks."

i sigh in relief, "i thought you'd be mad."

"no! we would never! you stuck up for sam and that's what we like about you. you do what you can to protect the ones you love."

i nod and hug them again.

"when can i leave the hospital?" i ask still hugging them.

"today." my dad exclaims, "that's why we're here."