• the lake •

ruels pov:

i'm back at home for now. someone has put missing posters around for y/n, at least someone else cares.

it's hard loosing the one you love. especially in this way. i don't know if she's dead or alive and that's what scares me.
if she's dead, i will never know.
but if she's alive, she could be in real danger.

i'm sitting on the park bench where we first kissed. my hand traces our names that we carved into the bench a couple months ago with her pocket knife that she always carries around for some reason.

i stare at it and run my finger across her name. slowly tracing the letters.

i look up and notice a young girl maybe 13 or 14 approaching me. i quickly move my hand. probably just a fan.

"hey um you're ruel right?"

i smile, "i...yes that's me."

"well uh." she looks at her shoes, "my older sister is a really big fan but she's in the hospital at the moment due to cancer and she shows me your pictures all the time that's why i recognised you...she listens to your music non stop, it's kinda annoying.." she rambles on.

i lift my eyebrow.

her eyes widen, "oh i mean your music isn't annoying, it's annoying because she plays it too much-"

i laugh, "hey calm down, it's fine honestly, i get annoyed at my music too sometimes. anyways so do you want me to see her?"

her eyes widen more, but quickly change into a warm smile, "um i was gonna ask for a video of you saying hi but if you want you can."

i really smile this time, "yeah i'm pretty free anyways."

"oh um great. thank you so much!"

* * *

y/ns pov:

i don't know how long it's been of me just limping slowly but i recon if i don't eat or drink something soon, i could die of hunger or thirst.

i look around, the building still in view behind me. a shudder goes up my spine thinking about if someone from there sees me. there's no way of me running away. my half broken leg would snap of like a tree in a really windy storm.

i squint my eyes and notice a lake only a couple kilometres ahead. i take a deep breath. lake water is better than no water.

* * *

ruels pov:

her mum drove me to the hospital, the same one i was at. i was silent most of the ride, occasionally answering questions they asked me.

i get that they were trying to make conversation but i wasn't feeling it today.

we arrive soon later and we go to the Reception. they give us her room number and we walk up the stairs.

"so we had no idea or had planned you'd come, obviously," the girls mum says, "but i want it to be a surprise so we'll just go in first and then i'll signal for you to come soon after."

i nod and smile. she walks in, followed by the sweet girl.

* * *

y/ns pov:

i couldn't stand anymore. my legs weee shaking and i needed rest. the lake was so far away. i wanted to collapse and just end everything but i can't. i won't. i will not do that to ruel.

i take a deep breath choking on some dry blood and continue. i scratch my head and when i look at my hand, it's covered in blood. i sigh, so that's why my head hurts so bad.

tears fall as the pain grows. i really shouldn't be walking. i slowly drag myself across the road.

minutes later, when i had moved not even two meters, i smell smoke.
i turn my head and see a truck coming my way.

oh my god.

i wave my good arm around like crazy, but doing so, i trip over a small rock. and slam my head hard onto the hard road.

my head starts to bleed again and my vision goes blurry. i snap out of it. i'm not passing out again.

the truck slowly to a stop and the man driving gets out.

"holy cra-"

"please." i choke. the sound of my voice still scared me, "help. please."

he rushes over to me without hesitation.

"what happened?!" he says in a strong aussie accent.

"please i need water, then i'll explain."

he nods and quickly picks me up easily.
my whole body screams in pain when he places me down in the passenger seat.

he gets in the other side and passes me a flask full of water. i chug it all. the icy cold water fills my lungs and flows down into my stomach. i breath heavily.

"thank you." i whisper.

he starts the engine.

"i don't care what you say but i'm taking you to the hospital."

i nod, "yeah that's probably best."

"so, could you tell me what happened?"

i close my eyes, "well, i got kidnapped."

he looks at me with wide eyes.

"yeah, they locked me in a dark cold room for over a month, feeding me every day. i didn't eat though."

"wha-"

"then they finally took me out and dragged me into this cabin room and beat the crap out of me. they showed me the body of my dead friend."

i was crying now.

"hey hey hey, mate, it's okay you don't-"

"they hit me more and more until i passed out for who knows long. i could barely walk and i crawled on a nail. it went right into my knee." i pointed at my knee.

his eyes got wider.

"then i jumped out of a window. the building was seven-story's."

"crap." he started to drive faster, "your parents must be devastated."

"oh i don't have parents." the sting in my chest wasn't there anymore. every time someone says something about them, it's always there. but i'm too numb. i'm too much in pain. i'm too scared to feel it anymore.

"so-"

"the people who beat me up where one of my foster parents."

"fri-"

"how far are we?"

i feel bad for him. just dropping all this on him. sounding emotion less. he's really nice though. for letting me come in here. i'm really lucky that he came down here anyways.

"about an hour."

"okay."

i stare out of the window, we just passed the lake.

a/n: hey so i'm going on a camp tomorrow and then another one a couple of days after. i won't be allowed my phone there which sucks so i won't be able to update. i'm really sorry. i'll update as soon as i can though xx
it's should be maybe a week or two. but hopefully this wasn't too bad off an ending for this chapter. hopefully y'all can sleep. 😂