part two

Lydia White

September 24th

"So let me get this straight." Eliza says as she burps Elijah on her lap. "Someone threw rocks at your window and made eye contact with you, then ran."

"Yes!" I throw my hands in the air. "I know it sounds crazy but it happened, El." I try to prove my case while she looks at me like I have six heads.

"Right." she nods slowly.

"You don't believe me, do you?" I huff.

"I believe that you were going through a lot last night and your mind might have been playing tricks on you." she states. "Lyds, this time last year something very tragic happened to you. You were grieving and you got paranoid. It's normal."

I sit back and rest my head on the back of her couch, looking up at the ceiling. "Maybe you're right."

Maybe I was just being paranoid. My head wasn't the clearest last night and my emotions probably just got the best of me.

"I am right. I'm always right." she smirks.

"Oh whatever." I roll my eyes playfully. My phone chimes and I pull it out of my pocket, looking at the screen.

It was a text from Cody.

"Cody's here to pick me up." I say, gathering my things.

"Okay." Eliza smiles, then kisses Elijah on the cheek.

I smile at her motherly action and then crouch down to Elijah's level.

"Bye bye, Eli." I pinch his cheek softly, causing him to smile a toothless grin. He was pretty used to me being around, especially because I've barely left Eliza's side. She likes to think of us as his two mothers.

Cody was waiting for me in his car when I got out of the building. He greets me with a kiss before driving out of the parking lot.

"So how was your night after I dropped you off?" he turns his head toward me and smiles.

I didn't want to lie to him, but he doesn't know about Harry, and I don't really know how to explain to him that I went home and cried because last night was the anniversary of his death.

"Just went to sleep." I shrug.

I also left out the part about the mysterious figure under my window, because I wasn't sure if I was going crazy or not.

Cody glides a hand across his neatly styled hair while looking forward out the windshield.

I've tried really hard not to compare Harry and Cody.

But sometimes it just happens.

Cody likes his hair to be neat, not loose and messy. His hair was curly, but he doesn't like his curls so he gels his hair to the point where it looks straight.

Harry's hair was literally the opposite. His hair would be all over the place and his curls would never be tamed. But somehow, he made it look incredible.

There were more comparisons I found myself making.

Harry had green eyes. Cody has dark brown ones.

Harry had tattoos. Cody doesn't.

Harry swore in every sentence he spoke. I've only heard Cody swear maybe four times, and it was usually when he drank.

Harry was tough, cold, and sort of scary. Cody was sweet, gentle, and sort of like a teddy bear.

A chiseled, six foot, gelled-haired teddy bear.