part twenty

can i just point out that literally less than a month ago, crumble only had 6k reads...😳

ok anyways,,,

Harry Styles

"The bullet just missed his vital organs. There was no exit wound which means we had to perform an emergency surgery to take the bullet out. He did lose a lot of blood, but he's stable and he should be alright." The doctor tells us as we all sit on the waiting room chairs, exhausted.

"Can we see him?" Lydia asks from beside me.

"He's sleeping, but he should be awake soon." The doctor says before leaving.

I look over at Lydia who was now staring at the ground. I knew she was probably beating herself up over this, because of the circumstances and the way everything happened. Niall got shot because we were trying to save her, and she felt guilty...but in all reality, it wasn't her fault at all.

If she hadn't have called me, Cody probably would have taken her and used her as bait...or maybe even killed her.

We sat in a tired silence for a little, until Louis stood up and said, "I cant take this anymore. Let's go see him." Louis was antsy. And when Louis was antsy, he was more irritable than usual. It was his way of coping with the nerves. He was nervous for Niall. But, who could blame him?

We all walked quietly to Niall's room. It was really early in the morning, and the sun was just barely rising. He was awake when we piled into the room, sitting up on his bed and looking somberly to the ground.

It took him a while to actually talk to us, but he acknowledged that we were there.

When he did get to talking, it was monotone with brief phrases, almost like it hurt him to talk. It was understandable, though.

Lydia made it clear to Niall that she was sorry for what happened, but Niall simply told her it wasn't her fault...which again, it wasn't.

Niall's morale was down, and it was simply because he was just getting over how bad the fire burned him when the headquarters exploded. But he'll be okay. He's resilient, he always has been...because he's had no other option with the lifestyle we lead.

We stayed with Niall for a couple more hours until 7 am rolled around.

Lydia was fighting to keep her eyes open, sitting in my lap on one of the chairs in Niall's room.

"You can go to sleep, baby." I whisper, but she simply shakes her head.

I didn't say anything because the guys were around, but I knew exactly why she didn't want to sleep.

She was afraid she'd have another nightmare.

She hasn't had any for a while, but that's because nothing's happened to us. However with the events that went down tonight, a nightmare could be a scary possibility for her.

From the way she's described them to me, they seem pretty graphic and disturbing. It genuinely does worry me that her mind creates these awful images from the trauma she's faced in real life.

In my life, there's really only two things I want. I want Lydia to feel safe, and I want her to be okay. That's all.

I grab her hips. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom, and then we'll go home, okay?" I say softly. She responds by nodding her head and standing up from my lap, only to sink back down into the chair that I was now absent from.

I walk to the bathroom through the waking hallways of the hospital. It wasn't as dead anymore. There were a few people out and walking around.

When I finish, I begin to walk back to the room but suddenly bump into a small frame as I turn a corner.

The body I bumped into ended up dropping a clipboard from the impact.

"Shit." I mumble. "Sorry." I say as I bend down to pick up the clipboard for them.

When I stand up straight again, I realize that the person I crashed into was a nurse.

The same nurse that treated me when I had a seizure.

"Harry?" her voice spikes.

How does she remember my name? I mean, surely she has a handful of patients within a day...so why would she remember who I was?

"Uh," I hand her the clipboard. "Y-yeah." I didn't know what to say to her.

She takes the clipboard from my hands. "What are you doing here?" she furrows her brows.

"My friend got-" I stop myself before revealing too much about Niall's injury. "My friend got hurt." I state.

She presses her lips into a line and nods. "Well how are you? Have you been taking care of yourself?" she asks.

What is going on?

"I'm fine." I shake my head in confusion. "Why do you care, if you don't mind me asking...because—and correct me if I'm wrong here—but I haven't heard of any scenario where nurses become so concerned with their patients once they leave the hospital."

Her straight-lined lips crack into a small smile. "I feel like I'm obligated to make sure you're okay."

"Why?" I arch my brow.

"Because." she inhales. "Do you remember how I told you briefly about my sister? The one who was in a bad relationship and started abusing drugs and alcohol?" she asks.

"Uh, yes." I say with uncertainty of the point she was trying to make.

"Well, I don't know. I guess I feel a connection to you through that story." she pats me on the arm. "We're closer than you may think, Harry." she smiles.

I nod and press my lips together, trying to be nice. But, I was becoming uncomfortable...mainly because of how much this woman resembled my mother.

It was actually scary. She had her nose shape, and her mouth shape. Even here eyes were similar.

"My sister got better, and you can too...as you've proven." she gestures me up and down.

Her words got me thinking. If I did keep abusing drugs, would I become like her sister? Or even worse, like my father?

Would I become this monster that Lydia would try to get away from?

"So, did your sister leave the relationship?" I question.

She shakes her head and frowns. "No. Her husband was actually killed."

I shut my eyes and look at the floor. "Ah."

"She had a child, too. They lost touch after the murder." she says. I can feel her eyes burning through me...and I didn't know why.

I look up and shrug. "Well, if it's any correlation, my parents were killed too."

She nods in what I thought was sympathy. "Did you see it?"

"No. I heard it from upstairs." I explain.

My chest felt heavy all of a sudden. I haven't talked about that night for a long time.

She takes a deep breath and looks me up and down one more time. "Take care of yourself, Harry." she says, before walking in the other direction.

It was probably one of the weirdest encounters I've ever had. From her strange resemblance to my mother to the shared sob story about our damaged families...it definitely gave me yet another reason to get the fuck to sleep.

I was honestly a zombie at this point.

I just wanted to get Lydia and I back home and into bed so we could forget for just a few hours.

So we could just be okay.

//
kind of a short chapter but it's SUPER important!!!
sooo...
do y'all have any predictions for the story?? who's your favorite character?? is there anything you would like to see happen?? do y'all have any questions??is there anything y'all wanna know about me??
i feel like i don't get your guys' opinion on these things or interact with you as much as i want to lol.

thank you for reading! i love you lots ❤️