part fifty six

im not ready , are y'all ready?
(hint...you're not.)

Lydia White

I've never truly imagined what a contraction feels like, but here I was, experiencing it for myself.

It's like a big, extreme period cramp. Except a period cramp that prepares you to push a fucking baby out of your vagina.

The moment my water broke, Harry got dressed, packed a bag, and drove us to the hospital in under an hour. He made the guys get up as well and meet us there.

Eliza was also on her way. She dropped Eli off at her parents'. I felt lucky to have the people closest to me present at the delivery, but I was so so scared.

I've never been a mom, and now my life was about to change in a matter of hours.

We've been at the hospital for about two and a half hours. My contractions aren't anything I can't handle, but they're becoming more and more frequent.

I'm in what the nurses called 'active labour'. The baby will be here soon, but we're trying to remain calm.

Harry was right next to me in a hospital chair while the nurses were letting us relax until it was time to push. We had some hours to kill.

"Are you okay? Do you feel alright? Do you need anything?" Harry asks a hundred questions a minute, his mind going wild and his nerves becoming obvious.

"I'm fine. I just need you." I say, holding his hand.

Eliza and the guys were in the waiting room, simply anticipating the birth. It was stressful, but we've been waiting nine months for this moment.

"Can you believe it? She's gonna be here in a few hours." he says, a small smile on his face.

I shake my head, astounded that we were actually going to be parents in a little while.

In the back of my head, there was that small tinge of worry. Harry wasn't off the hook yet, there are still people after him.

And they specifically told him in that one letter that he had until the birth.

"We're gonna be just fine, you know that right?" Harry speaks, as if he read my mind. He runs his fingers up and down the bare skin of my arm very gently.

I take a deep breath, his voice alone relaxing my nerves even if it was just a little bit. "I hope you're right." I say.

He nods. "We will. We are having this baby together." he tries his best to reassure.

I couldn't tell if he was doubtful. He's not usually this optimistic.

I suddenly feel my lower stomach begin to cramp up again, my body about to experience another contraction. I grip Harry's hand tightly and grit my teeth, holding my breath until it fades away.

Harry strokes my hair. "You're good, baby." he whispers.

I feel another presence enter the room, and I turn my head to meet it. Eliza walked in, wearing a big comfy sweater and holding a bag full of items to occupy me.

"Hi." she says with a smile, her hair up in a bun and her eyes tired. She was asleep before she got here, and I was so grateful that she didn't even think twice about coming to the hospital. She was here in a blink.

Harry looks up at Eliza who walks over to the hospital bed.

"Want me to leave you two alone?" he asks.

Eliza shrugs as I look up at her. "Just wanted to check up on you."

"You can stay if you want, Harry." I say.