part twenty three

Lydia White

November 10th

"All I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to work on your birthday. It's stupid." Harry says as we walk through the door together after picking up a few groceries.

"Harry, I really don't mind." I chuckle as I place grocery bags on the counter.

"I do!" he whines like a child. "I have plans for your big day and I want you here."

My birthday is in 7 days, and Harry has been begging me to take it of work. He insists that working on my birthday is completely irrational.

I sigh and stop to fully face him. "You really don't want me to work?"

He shakes his head. "Nope."

I roll my eyes with a small laugh. "Fine. I'll stay home."

He smiles and slaps my butt, making me yelp. "That's my girl." he teases.

"You're so annoying." I slap him on the shoulder before going back to the groceries.

My phone begins to ring in the back pocket of my jeans, but my hands were full so I couldn't grab it.

"Do you mind getting that?" I ask Harry.

He hums in agreement and slips the ringing phone out of my pocket.

When he doesn't say anything and the phone just continues to ring, I turn around and look at him. I'm met with his pale face and wide eyes.

I feel my chest tighten in worry as his eyes lowly look up to meet mine.

"It's your mum." he whispers apprehensively, as if she could hear him.

I widen my eyes and drop the groceries in my hands, immediately ripping the phone from Harry.

"Should I hide?" Harry says, looking around frantically for a place to shield himself from my mother.

"Harry she cant see you!" I say.

I haven't spoken to my parents since Harry came back.

And there wouldn't be a problem with that except for one small issue...

...they think he's dead.

He stands next to me just staring at me, waiting for me to make a move.

He clears his throat. "Are you gonna ans-"

"Yes." I snap. "I'm just...preparing."

He purses his lips and nods, backing off and sitting on the counter next to where I was standing. I hop up on the counter next to him, taking a deep breath.

I press the green accept button, and exhale before putting the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I say as nonchalantly as possible.

"Hi baby." My mom's voice sounds through the phone.

"Hey mom, what's up?" I say through a high pitched tone, causing Harry to give me a weird look.