part thirty eight

Harry Styles

When I found out I was gonna be a dad, I would have never expected to go to Liam Payne of all people for advice.

But here we are.

I'm at wits end. I'm driving myself crazy with self doubt and guilt.

I had to talk to someone, and it couldn't be Lydia. I didn't want her to be disappointed in me.

"So, let me get this straight." Liam takes a sip of beer. "You think you're gonna be a bad dad so you want me to help you?"

"Unfortunately, yes, that's where I'm at." I respond.

"Well. I think I've got just the thing." he smiles, filled with confidence.

This should be good.

"Why don't we practice." he says with open arms as if I'm supposed to understand what the fuck he meant.

"Practice?"

"Yup. You're gonna practice being a father. We'll use a fake baby and everything."

I tilt my head and arch my brow. "A fake baby? Liam, where are we gonna find a fake baby?" I shake my head in annoyance.

He pulls his lips to the side and looks around the room, then he rushes to the kitchen and opens the fridge.

He takes out a whole entire watermelon.

"Here!" he smiles, cradling the watermelon.

This cannot be real. I have to be dreaming.

Liam is definitely not pretending a watermelon is a baby right now.

"Pretend this is your daughter. She just came out of Lydia. Fresh out of the womb."

"You're fucking gross." I roll my eyes as he hands the melon over to me. I hold it in my two hands, not knowing the next move.

"Cradle it, Harry. Like a baby." Liam directs.

I glare at him and hesitantly hold the watermelon as if it was a kid, using both my arms to support it.

God, I hope Lydia doesn't come downstairs.

"Okay, what now?" I ask, clear annoyance in my voice.

"Uh, well, I don't know. I wasn't around when Elijah was this young." Liam says, running his hands through his hair. "Maybe just walk with it and bounce it around."

"Oh, yeah. I'm sure that'll do it." I sarcastically remark.

Maybe I did make a mistake asking Liam for advice. I love the guy, but he's not very sharp when it comes to stuff outside of killing, kidnapping, and mobbing.

But, he's the only one with a child as of right now. I'm kind of out of options.

I walk around with the 'baby', bouncing it lightly in my arms just like Liam told me to do. I felt like an idiot. Probably looked like one too. But I want to be better and be the best father I can because it's what Lydia and our baby deserves.

After a couple minutes, I actually felt like I was doing okay. My confidence was starting to build...

Until my grip slipped on the watermelon and my fake baby went crashing to the ground.

And splattered all over the kitchen floor.

I look down at the mess of watermelon, frozen in my place. I slowly turn my head to look at Liam, who held the same shocked expression.

"Well. That's one way to get a baby to be quiet." he mumbles.

"This is hopeless" I throw my hands up in frustration and start to walk away.