part twenty six

Lydia White

I've spent most of the day in our bedroom.

After the shower situation, I came out once to eat, but I went right back in to bed afterwards. It's not that I want to lock myself in there, but it felt like that's all I could do.

Maybe I was wallowing in self pity, but I've never been through something like this. I'm allowed to feel sorry for myself.

I also feel sorry for Harry. He has to watch me fall into this rut. He's been as helpful as he possibly can, and I know that. I'm grateful for him but I just don't know how to show it right now.

The bedroom door cracks open slowly, and the light from the hallway fills the room.

"Lyds?" Harry's low voice speaks softly.

I turn my body around on the bed so that I was facing the door. "Hi." I mumble.

He pouts his lip at the state he sees me in, shuffling into the dark bedroom and walking right to the bed. He climbs in beside me, resting his hand on my hip.

"You've been in here all day." he speaks with concern.

I sigh. "I know. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm just worried." he explains. 

I bring my hand up to run a hand through his messy curls. His hair has grown out quite a bit, back to the length it was when I first met him. He gives me a soft smile, looking into my eyes with love.

He rubs soft circles on my hip under the covers. "I know things seem really bad right now." he starts, "But, I also know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. There has to be. You deserve that."

My chest fills with air as I sharply breathe in. "You deserve that, too."

He did.

He blinks slowly and shakes his head. "No, I don't. But that's okay. All I care about is you being happy."

For the first time since the miscarriage, I could feel my heart start beating faster.

He made me feel something again.

I've been so drained and numb, yet he was the only thing that could fix it. He's always the solution.

I open my mouth to tell him I love him, but then the phone rings.

Harry furrows his brows in confusion, because we normally don't get calls.

"Who would that be?" I sit up as the phone rings in the kitchen.

"No clue." he murmurs while sliding off the bed.

He heads towards the kitchen and I get off the bed to follow him, my curious feet patting the hardwood floor underneath them.

He picks up the phone, holding it to his ear.

"Hello?" he says, looking at me as he speaks.

I stand in front of him with my arms crossed. I watch his facial expression as whoever was on the other end of the phone speaks.

His expression drops and his hand tightens slightly around the phone. "Yes, she's right here....she's doing fine...you need us to come now?" he says with pauses in between each phrase as he and the other person converse.

I tilt my head and give him a weird look. His jaw was clenched and his brows were knitted together.

"We'll be there soon." he says before hanging up.

My forehead creases in puzzlement as I wait for him to explain.

"Well..." I say.

"It was the doctor." he says. "She said she needs to see you right away because she found something about your case."