part twenty one

Lydia White

October 22nd

I woke up with Harry's head resting on my tummy.

I went to bed before he did, so he must have come in and fallen asleep in that position afterwards.

The past two days, we've been focusing on trying to get our well-being back on track.

When we came back to my apartment from the hospital, Harry sat me down and walked through the process of my nightmares with me.

He asked me to explain to him what happens in explicit detail. Then, when I went to sleep, he stayed awake next to me so he could be alert in case I do have a nightmare—which I did.

It was something along the lines of Cody coming back from the dead and trying to kill Harry and I.

But there was something different about this particular dream. First of all, it was way more vivid...nearly tangible. It was almost like I could feel what was happening to us. But secondly, there was another person in the dream. Actually, more like a 'being' rather than a physical human. It was a being I didn't recognize, yet it felt like I had such a connection to them. It was like I had a responsibility to protect this thing, whatever it was.

The next day, Harry spent the morning researching my dreams and trying to figure out a solution we could use to either make them less intense or stop them from happening all together.

Of course I was grateful for his adamant help, but I didn't want him to stress over me.

That same day, I was sitting on my bathroom counter getting ready until he barged in with three printed out sheets of research in his hands. All of them had different information about dreaming, sleep, sleeping patterns, etcetera.

"Parasomnia." he stated, pointing at a blurb of writing. "Sleep disorder involving abnormal movements or behaviour."

I looked at him with an arched brow. "I don't move around when I have nightmares." I opposed.

"Okay." he pointed to another blurb. "Then what about this? Nightmare disorder."

I squinted down at the paper where his finger was and read aloud. "A sleep disorder characterized by frequent nightmares." I mumbled.

"Nightmares that often portray an individual in situations that may jeopardize or threaten their safety." Harry continued reading. "Lyds, this is exactly what's going on with you." he spoke in realization.

With this new found knowledge of what might be happening with me, Harry suggested we see a psychologist.

I immediately declined. He wasn't thinking it through. If we saw a professional, they'd ask me about the past trauma that has seeped its way into my dreams. I'd have to tell them about everything that's happened in the past, meaning all of Harry's secrets will get out about the gang.

It was too risky.

So instead, Harry's been doing everything—and I mean everything—he can to make sure I sleep peacefully.

He makes sure I fall asleep first. He stays up and just sits next to me until I get into a deep enough sleep, and only then will he let himself get some rest.