Chapter Seven

Fraternizing with the Enemy
Chapter Seven
Justice Homer
That Night, in their cabin

"So, what was that all about?" I ask Reed as we were getting into our separate beds.

"What are you talking about?" He asks, laying on his back.

"You and...Nick, I think. You were at each other's throats. Whats up with that?" I ask, turning onto my side to look at him.

"Nothing is up. Nick and I just don't agree about something." He says, vaguely. His lips were pulled back, showing his annoyance with the topic.

"That wasn't nothing. Damn, I thought for sure you were going to start throwing punches. Never knew you to be a violent person." I chuckle, trying to lighten the mood.

"We were fine. We get into it with each other a lot at practice. Coach is usually there to monitor. I try to avoid him when I'm off the field, but he never seems to want to avoid me."

"Damn, that sucks. I have that issue with this one kid on the team. Daniel Hopkins. I try not to hate anyone but damn, he's tops of the list. Even higher than you." I chuckle. I see the ghost of a smile touch his lips and know that I've succeed in lightening the mood.

"Shit, he beats me. I gotta try harder than. I must not piss you off enough. Let's see, you want me to start saran wrapping the toilet. I can make it happen. Or I can put things in your food. Like spiders or rat poop or something." He teases.

"Fuck no. Do not do that. I can handle saran wrap but don't you dare mess with my food." I try to hold a serious face but break when he starts to laugh.

"Saran wrap it is then. I'll get to work on that tomorrow. So long as you don't mess with my food either."

"I could always steal your sweatshirts. That'd sure piss you off. With the fact that you only have like three." I laugh. "I could never. I wear sweatshirts like every day. Trish tried to steal one of them, but I got it back. Then she tried to steal another and got pissed at me when I said no. Like it's my sweatshirt."

He laughs. "Girls tend to do that."

"Is that why you have so few? All those girls at your feet trying to steal them?"

"Nah," He rolls over to face me. "I don't wear sweatshirts that often, so I don't need them. I stopped giving girls my sweatshirts. I gave one girl one of mine when I was a freshman and still into that shit. She burned it when I dumped her. That was my only polo hoodie."

I laugh at the pout he has on his face.

"Seriously? Polo? I have like twelve of those." I don't mean to brag, but I think it comes off that way. "I prefer Calvin Klein. I get more girls with those."

He laughs at me. "Seriously?"

"No, I probably get the least amount. I wear them and all my guy friends make fun of me."

"Now that I believe. As long as you don't have any Gucci sweatshirts. Then, I don't know what'd I do."

My cheeks heat and I avoid looking at him.

"Oh my god, you have a Gucci sweatshirt, don't you?" He pushes himself up so he's balancing on one arm and facing me with the other.

"Only a few. My brother bought them for me. It was a birthday present." I can feel my cheeks heat, but this time in embarrassment.

"Where are they? Did you bring them?"

"Two of them."

"Show me." He demands. I stare at him for a second before getting up. I brought a black one and a white one.

I unhang them and toss them to him. He catches them as I sit back down on my bed and watch him. He had sat up when I walked over to my closet. He holds one up and looks at it.

"Shit, you actually have them." He chuckles. I scrunch my brows when he sniffs them. "What do you wash these with?"

"I haven't washed it yet. I wore it right before coming here and didn't bother to." I smirk at him. "That, you so obviously sniffed, would be my cologne. Ironically, that's polo."

"Mm, remind me to buy that next time I go shopping." He plays it off.

"Mmhm." I let a small smile shine through and lay down with my arm propping up my head.

"What?" He asks, tossing the sweatshirts onto the bedside table that was next to his bed.

"Nothing." I continue to smile.

"Justice, dude, tell me."

"So...you like the way I smell, huh?" I tease him.

"Yeah, I do." He bluntly states. "Don't mean I like you."

I stare at him, dumbfounded. I had not expected him to be so blunt. Let alone admit that he liked the way I smell.

"What do you use now." I ask, turning to look at him. I found him already looking at me.

"Nothing. I don't use cologne. I sometimes use aftershave, but other than that I don't use any." He shrugs.

"What?" I continue to stare at him.

"Not everyone uses cologne, Justice." He was getting defensive.

"Sorry, I just use it everyday so its weird to me that you don't. I know not everyone does." I apologize.

"It's fine." He yawns. "We should go to bed. We have an early morning."

"I thought I banned you from working out."

"Running doesn't count."

"Yes, it does. You need to let your body heal. Working out excessively everyday is not going to help you. It's going to end up hurting you in the long run. You could get an injury and be out for a season. And you're my only competition on that field so I really don't want that."

He smirks at me. "Awe, is Justice worried about me?"

"No, well yes. But just because you're hurting your body. Not because I like you." I defend.

"Awe, there's no reason to lie about it. You like me. I know you do. How could you not? I'm lovable."

He smiles and tilts his head at me. I throw my pillow at him. He catches it and starts laughing. I motion for him to throw it back and he shakes his head at me. He puts it on top of his other pillow and begins to fluff it.

"You threw it, thus meaning you gave it up. It's mine now." He lays his head down on the pillow and sends me another pillow.

The only lights we had on in the room were our lamps on the side tables. He looked about ready to pass out. I debate on going over there and stealing the pillow back but decide I can make it one night without it. I, too, fluff my pillow and turn off my light. He follows suit and turns his light off.

"Night, Reed." I yawn and shut my eyes.

"Night, Justice."

And with that, I fall into a deep sleep.