Chapter Thirty-Three

Fraternizing with the Enemy

Chapter Thirty-Three

Justice Homer

Direct Continuation (14th week)

I watch as Reed stalks across the field and towards his team. There was a scowl etched onto his face. I had caught his attention for a split second before we both looked away. He didn't have a crutch so I assumed it was good news from the doctor.

"Alright, since everyone is here, now." Reed's coach says, looking pointedly at him. "We heard from the directors at camp that you boys were starting to get along better since you were forced to room together."

"So, with that fact, we've decided to run an experimental practice today. We are going to be doing partner, team bonding activities. To alleviate some...stress, we will pick your partners for today. If it goes well today, we'll continue doing these." My coach continues.

"We want to have a fun rest of the season and hopefully get you boys over this rivalry-to some extent. So, anyways, for your first partners, you'll be with your roommate from camp. You guys are already familiar with this person so it should be easier." Coach Morgan explains. I locked eyes with Reed, there was a fire burning in them. I have to hold in my smirk. This wouldn't be such a bad practice after all.

When Coach had said that we were having a joint practice with Harrison High School it had not gone over well with the team. There was a lot of back talk, complaints and refusals to go. Eventually Coach managed to talk them all down and here we are. We had arrived ten minutes ago and had stood silently, away from the Harrison boys. Reed walking up had started the whole conversation.

"First up, you will meet up and do some icebreakers. The first icebreaker game is two truths and a lie. Meet up with your partner and go somewhere away from others. Coach Wells and I will walk around and listen in and maybe even participate with you guys. Now, break." Coach Morgan says. Coach Morgan was the coach at Harrison High and has been for as long as I know. Meanwhile, Coach Wells, our coach, has only been coaching for a couple of years.

Everyone walks away, grumbling. The Harrison boys are much quieter than us. They complained all the way to their partners and as they continued walking. That was the spoiled brat in us. Coach Wells always had a hard time forcing us to do anything. Trust fund babies don't like following the rules, not when they can usually buy their way out of anything. The only thing I was pissed about was that we weren't alone. That I couldn't kiss him or touch him.

I meet up with Reed and we head over to the goal post. We snag one away from another group that was also heading that way. Reed snarled at them and they quickly turned around and basically ran away. We sit down side by side, with our shoulders touching leaning against the pole. No one was around us, mostly because Reed kept scaring them away.

"Hey," I say. "How'd the doctors go? Did you get the okay to play next week?"

"Yeah, it's a little swollen so he wants me to ice it and do the whole RICE thing. He also said that if I feel any pain at all, to use the crutch and stop playing." Reed explains, pulling grass out and flicking it away.

"Do you wanna do the ice breaker?" I ask, looking over at him? He looks back at me and flicks a piece of grass at my face. He finally breaks into a smile when I send him a mock glare.

"Not really, but I will." He looks up at the sky. I don't look away from him. I watch his face. He keeps looking at the sky but glances down at me when I don't speak. "Stop staring, J, people will get suspicious."

"I can't." I whisper then clear my throat when I see Coach Morgan heading our way. "So, I hate chocolate, I want to join the FBI, and I want to live on an Island."

Reed raises a brow as Coach Morgan walks up. "Hm, chocolate, definitely the chocolate."

"You're right. I love white chocolate. And hot chocolate. Basically anything chocolate. Especially if it is with caramel or nuts." I rant, nervous because of Coach Morgan. "Anyways," I clear my throat. "You're turn."

"Um," He groans, leaning his head back. "Ok, I want to be a veterinarian, I'm really good at cooking, I've been in three serious relationships."

"Last one, you've only been in one." I blurt out before realizing.

"Two actually." He corrects.

"Good job, boys. Glad to see you're taking this seriously." Coach Morgan compliments then moves on to another group.

"So," I start when he walks far enough away. "You want to be a vet?"

Reed shrugs. "That or a cook or something with children. I don't really know yet. I do have to decide soon."

"Hm, I didn't even know you were considering any of those." I laugh. "I could definitely see you in all three though. You're really good with your sister, and I know you love kids. And you're definitely really good at cooking. However, I didn't know you liked animals."

"I don't know for sure." He laughs. "But I like the thought of helping animals."

"Hm, you know my dad knows someone who could probably get you a job shadow or internship with any of the three." I offer.

"Really?" He asks.

"Yeah, I can talk to him tonight, if you want."

"I don't know." He draws. "How would you explain to him who I am?"

"I don't know." I shrug. "As a friend. A friend of a friend. I don't care."

"Let me think about it? Okay?" He asks, nudging my knee with his knee. I look at him.

"Okay, just tell me if you want me to." I send him a slight smile, one small enough that no one else should notice.

"Alright boys, let's move on to our second ice breaker game. It's called the one word game, I guess. What you'll do is say one word that describes your partner. First round will be any word. Second round must be something positive about them. Third round must be something positive about their football ability. Fourth round and every round after that is any word. Remember one word. One partner will go, then the other." Coach Wells explains. "Begin."

"Sexy." Reed says immediately after looking at me.

"Gorgeous." I say back.

"Smart."

"Brave."

"Fast." He chuckles and I imagine it had to do with the capture the flag game at camp.

"Strong." I laugh back.

"Overreactive." He teases.

"Asshole." I fire back.

"Clean--freak."

"Messy, and that was two words."

"Loud, and there was a hyphen."

"Cocky."

"Alright, boys, wrap it. We're moving onto the next game." Coach Morgan yells. "This time we will be playing 'would you rather' and try to keep it school appropriate."

I watch as Reed's lips turn up in a smirk.