Chapter Three

Fraternizing with the Enemy

Chapter Three

Justice Homer

Four days later, Wednesday, week 1

I hated him, with every fiber of my being, I hated him. Reed Archer was the bane of my existence. Luckily, I'd have an excuse to take out my anger on him today. There was a beginning of camp tradition that was a game of capturing the flag. I was on the white team with a couple of my teammates and Reed was on the black team.

Ironically, we were versing each other. I was more than looking forward to it. I knew exactly what I was going to wear. I dressed for the occasion. I pulled on my white boxers and then my white nike basketball shorts. That is all I had brought into the bathroom because I still haven't picked out a shirt yet. I was deciding between a t-shirt and a tank top. I exit the bathroom and head over to my closet. I open the door and eye both the t-shirts and the tank tops. Normally this is when I'd look to Hayden to help but he wasn't exactly here. So I had two options: ask Reed or just make the decision myself. I pull out my white t-shirt and my white tank top. I turn around and eye Reed, holding both up to my body.

"Reed," I call. I may not like him but I was also indecisive as fuck.

"T-shirt." He replies back without even looking up. I nod with approval and put the tank top up, then pull on the shirt.

Next, I walk over to my bed and lean over to grab my white hat. It was my favorite one. Once I was all dressed and ready to go, I began to leave the cabin.

"Justice," Reed calls. "Finally, you're ready to go."

"You could have headed down there without me." I sigh and continue walking.

"And risk seeing your pretty face get kidnapped and raped, nah. Gotta keep the competition alive in order for me to have some competition. Your second string isn't shit."

"Hey," I call back defensively. I watch as he rolls his eyes and we continue walking to the dining hall in silence.

He wasn't wrong though. Our second string needed some serious work. But as usual, none of them cared. We were, afterall, trust fund babies. If football didn't work out we could still afford to go to college. Can't say the same for Reed and the rest of his posse.

"Don't take it so personally, sweetheart, I wasn't insulting you." He gives me a cocky smile and looks back down at his phone.

The rest of the walk to the cafeteria was silent. Reed messed around with his phone and I silently walked. I didn't bring my phone, I hadn't thought I needed it.

When we arrive at the cafeteria, we get food then we seperate. I go to the rest of my team and he does the same but to his own team. I sit beside Hayden and he nods a hello.

"Are you ready to win this shit?" Hayden asks me.

"Definitely." I reply, stuffing. "There's no way we're losing to Reed."

"Glad to hear it, captain." Hayden jokes.

"Co-captain." I tease. Hayden and I were chosen as team captains sophomore year when we were brought up to varsity together.

After we finish eating we head towards the fields to get our flags. There were six teams: white, black, blue, red, green and yellow. I was on the white team with Hayden while Reed was on the black team. Hayden and I stand by a couple of our teammates as the director of the camp stands up to talk.

"I hope you all are enjoying your time here and have settled in okay." He starts.

Hayden snorts beside me and leans over to whisper. "Yeah, settling well with the enemy."

I snort but clear my throat and send him a glare.

"Today, as per usual, we will be having our annual capture the flag game. I will give a refresher for those who don't remember or are new to the camp. Each person will be given a flag with their color and must be tied somewhere above the clothing." He explains. "And yes, apparently that needs to be said. We had an incident one year. Anyways, the team with all the flags captured will win. Everyone go get your flags. There will be five minutes to find a hiding place then the game will begin."

Hayden and I walk and grab our flags. He ties his around his neck and I use mine as a headband. I use it to push back my hair.

"Dude, really? You look like a douche bag." Hayden groans.

"Yes really." I laugh, he rolls his eyes at me and groans again.

"Where are you gonna go?" He asks.

"Don't know yet. I'll find somewhere. You?" He shrugs. I laugh and leave him to go and hide.

I eye the area around me to make sure that no one was watching then sneak into the woods. I follow the tree line, staying just out of sight until I get the beach. I scan the area to make sure that no one was around. I decided to just hide here, out of sight, until someone came running and I could sneak up on them. It didn't take long for someone to stumble onto the beach. I watch as someone from the red team takes a flag from one of the green team members. Smirking, I wait for him to get a little closer then sprint out and grab both flags from him. He spins around and glares then stalks off angrily.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone make a break for the docks. Without a doubt, I take off after them. I was quick on my feet, as my coach had told me on more than one occasion. I easily catch the red flag carrying member at the end of the doc. I pant as I proudly loop his flag on my arm with the other two. I stand there for a moment to catch my breath. I jump as one breathly word is whispered into my ear and two arms shove me straight into water below me.

"Surprise." I gasp as I sputter out water, glaring angrily up at Reed.