Chapter Twenty-One

Fraternizing with the Enemy
Chapter Twenty-One
Justice Homer
Two weeks later, Thursday night, still summer. (10th week) 

With a chuckle, I look up at Reed. We were currently in the bed of his truck, he'd created a sort of picnic. Picnics were kind of our thing. Had been since the first time we'd had a picnic in the cabin. 

We'd had a blissful two weeks home. We'd been happily dating. We'd hung out basically everyday and we snuck into each others rooms every night and left early in the morning. We usually hung out together more when one of our houses were empty and no one was home. School started in two weeks and I didn't want to go back. It had kind of been like a honeymoon of sorts. It'd been perfect. 

"Hey, Justice?" He says. "Try this. It was my first time making cookies." 

He was blushing. I smirk at him and lean forward to take a bite of the cookie. I chew. I try to hold in my disgust and force the cookie bite down. I finally swallow it and try to send him smile.

"And by that look, I'll take it they taste like shit." He laughs, throwing the cookie over his shoulder. 

"I'm sorry, babe." I laugh. "They just don't taste, well, cooked completely."

"I tried really hard on those." He whines. He takes a bite of another cookie and grimaces. He leans over the edge of bed to spit it out on the ground. 

We'd driven two towns over and were currently in the middle of the woods. I'd teased Reed about taking me here just to kill me. He'd joked that, that had always been his plan. 

"It's okay." I chuckle. "Not all of us were meant to cook." 

"Just like some of us aren't meant to do laundry." Reed laughs and I send him glare. 

"You know what my mom told me today?" I rant. "That I need to start doing my own laundry. Like has she not seen what I've done to the clothes I've washed. She assumed I did all of my own laundry at camp so I should be able to do it at home too." 

"I did all your laundry." He says, shifting around some, grunting when he hits his foot on the side of the bed. 

"I know, but I can't tell her that." I groan. 

"Well, I mean you could but I wouldn't." He laughs. He starts to put the stuff he brought back into an actual basket, something I teased him about when he pulled it out. It was highly cliche. 

Once he finishes, he grabs the blanket laying idle by his head and motions for me to scoot closer. I do so, getting as close to him as possible. It was still summer but it was beginning to get colder as the sky grew darker. Once I cuddle up to him, he throws the blanket over us and wraps an arm around me. 

"I could always bring it over to you and you could wash it." I flutter my lashes at him. He laughs, so hard it rocks both of us. 

"Oh, J, you're so cute." Reed says, rubbing my shoulder.

"Hm, okay, here's a better plan. I go over to your house and I take your clothes, don't worry I'll give you mine. Then I'll give them back and you can wash them since technically they're your clothes." 

"Um, yeah no. You already have enough of my clothing. Don't think I haven't noticed that my football hoodie is missing." He warns, I give him an innocent smile. "Speaking of which, I'm going to need that back. We wear them on game days." 

"Awe, but I wear it to bed." I pout. It was true. His sweatshirt and a pair of sweats were a common occurrence at night. It still smelled like him even though he hadn't worn it in awhile. 

"Hm, good to know." He smirks, kissing my head. "What time do you have to be home?" 

"Curfew is two." I answer. It was only eight pm so we had awhile left until I had to be home. "Any time you have to be home?" 

"Technically, my parent set curfew as midnight but they've never enforced it. Probably because I've always ignored it."

"You're such a bad influence, Reed." I chuckle. 

"I do recall that you are now the reason I'm skipping curfew, so who's the bad influence, really?" He teases.

I roll my eyes at him. He laughs and I lightly hit him on the stomach. 

"When is your guys' first game?" I ask him. 

"The Thursday right before school begins." Reed answers. "Are you going?"

"Yeah," I answer. "Some of the guys on the team wanna go and booing you guys." 

"Wow," He chuckles. "You can boo my teammates but you better not boo me."

"Of course not." I say. 

"You better not. Or I might just have to go up there and see you." 

"Oh yeah?" I flip around to raise a brow at him. "And what would you do?" 

"Hm, I think I'd have to do this until you gave in." I don't get any change to stop him as he begins to tickle me. He doesn't stop even after begging. "Do you give in? Promise not to boo me?" 

"Yes! Of course! I would never boo you." I cry. "God, why do you always do that? Ugh!" 

He laughs. "You love it. When do you guys play?" 

"First week of school. That Friday." I answer. 

"I'll be there. I don't quite know how yet, but I will. I'll find a way. Even if it means I have to hide beneath the bleachers." I chuckle at the image put in my head. "What are you laughing about?" 

"What it would like like seeing you hiding under the bleachers." I chuckle. 

"Hm, we could resort to former years and we could make out under the bleachers. We could also fool around under them. Maybe you'd let to second base." He jokes. 

"Hm, second base? Isn't that a little soon? We've only been dating for, what, two months? Nearly three." 

"Longer than any other relationship I've been in." Reed laughs. "Speaking of relationships..." 

"Reed! Do we have to talk about that right now?" I whine. 

"Yes, have you even talked to her? I know she sent you a text about wanting to talk. Maybe she wants to break up." I bark out a laugh. 

"I've tried to break up with that girl three times already. She does not want to break up. She probably wants me to propose or something equally as stupid." 

"J, you need to break up with her. I do not enjoy being a homewrecker." Reed answers. 

"Ugh, fine. I'll talk to her tomorrow. I'll break up with her, happily." 

"Good." Reed leans down and brings our lips to another kiss. This is how I like to spend my nights, in Reeds arms with his lips on mine.