Chapter Thirty-Two

Fraternizing with the Enemy
Chapter Thirty-Two
Reed Archer
Monday Morning, At School (14th week)

I scowl at the girl who walks up to me. She looks like a nice girl but I was not in the mood to place nice today. I was exhausted. After spending the weekend with Justice, I did not get very much sleep. Did I regret it, though? Fuck no. After he gave me head, we ended up staying in his room while his family mulled around. We talked, watched movies and showered together. I finally snuck out when Justice's parents went to bed at eleven.

However, when I finally got home my parents weren't happy to see me. Dad made me weigh in. I haven't been working out as much as usual. Other than fucking Justice. And that did take a while, he could go for a while. But when it showed I had gained weight, he forced me to work out until two thirty. I texted Justice and naturally he didn't answer. But my body this morning was aching. Fucking Justice was so much easier than working out and I loved working out. It was my happy place. I need to start getting back into it. The ankle isn't going to stop me from everything.

Speaking of which, my appointment to get my cast off so I could walk on my ankle again was today. Our game against Justice wasn't this week, though, it's next week. It's also the night of our homecoming dance. The one in which I hadn't decided whether or not I was going to. If I could go with Justice then the decision to go would be easy, but I couldn't without making it obvious that something was going on with us. We didn't really want to come out during football. The other sports we play aren't as big of a deal as football is in our town. Football was everything.

"Hey, Reed." A sultry voice whispers into my ear. One of my old girlfriends, Caroline.

I scowl harder and glare at her.

"Hm, why are you so mean to me? You know I love you." She goes to kiss me, but I pull away and turn my face.

I ignore her and for once in my life hope that the bell will ring soon. Micah was coming back today though, so that was making it a little better. He'd been at home on bed rest and had been doing online schooling. But I couldn't hold him to actually show up on time, hell I was usually never on time, let alone early. Justice really was rubbing off on me. Ten minutes early is late to him.

"C'mon, how about we hang out together after the game on Friday?" She whispers. "Maybe we could fool around in the back of your car."

I roll my eyes and glare at her harder, still not answering. She huffs and walks away finally when the bell rings. Seven minutes later, Micah walks in, handing Mrs. Hill his late pass. He sits down beside me, eyeing the crutch. When Mrs. Hill starts the lesson, he leans closer to whisper.

"What's up with the crutch? Ankle finally blow?" He jokes, wincing in pain.

"Yeah, fucked it up at camp. Wasn't fun." I whisper but quickly pause before continuing when Mrs. Hill sends a sharp glare over to us. "I have a doctor's appointment tonight. I should be getting the cast off and I should be able to walk on it."

"So you'll be in for the game against the Academy?" He asks, looking worried.

"As long as everything goes as planned tonight, yeah. I probably won't play this Friday." I scowl.

"Be happy you can play at all." He jabs.

I give him a pitying gaze. "Sucks, man."

"Yeah, it's bull shit is what it is. Complications during surgery or some shit like that."

"Mr. Archer, Mr. West, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Mrs. Hill sneers.

"No, ma'am. I missed the first couple of weeks of school so I was just asking Reed about what we were learning. Sorry if me trying to catch up was a disturbance to you." Micah answers innocently.