Chapter Thirty-Six

Fraternizing with the Enemy
Chapter Thirty-Six
Reed Archer
Direct Continuation (14th week), into Tuesday

    I groan from where I was laying on my bed. When dad had seen I was released from my ankle cast prison, he'd forced me to spend the entire night working out. I was exhausted. He'd been drinking so there were also some verbal attacks and smacks but he didn't do any real damage. I was aching everywhere and I knew it wasn't going to get any better tomorrow. Especially since I was allowed to play again.

    I knew Justice was probably pissed at me but I was too tired to worry about it now. That'd have to be an issue I deal with tomorrow. It was already eight o'clock and I was ready to crawl under the covers. Regardless, I ignore that feeling and dial the number I know by heart. He answers after the second ring.

    "What's wrong?" Justice asks, worriedly.

    I sigh. He knows me too well. "Dad was making me work out. Had to catch up on what I missed while I was out of commission. He has already set up my workout schedule for the next two months."

    "Are you supposed to even be doing that? Aren't you supposed to take it easy? You know, ease back into everything." God, I loved him. He was worried about me.

    "I'll be fine." I sigh again.

    "No, you won't. Not if you injure your ankle again because he's making you overwork it. Does it hurt?"

    It was throbbing. "Yeah."

    He groans. "You should use the crutches tomorrow. Wrap it." He pauses. "I wish I was there with you. Then I could yell at you in person, and in general."

    I laugh. "I'm not gonna use the crutches but I will wrap it. I'll even stay off of it as much as possible, if that'll ease your worrying." I hesitate before continuing. "I wish you were here too."

    "Ugh," He groans. "It will make me feel better knowing you're wrapped up tight but-"

    I cut him off. "I'm not using the damned crutches. They make sneaking in and out nearly impossible."

    "Sneaking into and out of your house or mine?"

    "Both." I chuckle. "What'd you do while you waited for me to call? You didn't work yourself up, did you?" I meant it jokingly but he didn't answer for awhile. Eventually I get tired of waiting. "J?"

    "I may have done some shopping." He mumbles. "Definitely didn't work myself up."

    I laugh. "What'd you buy?"

    "Things..." He says vaguely.

    "Like what?"

    "Some Calvin Klein stuff and some Polo stuff."

    "Oh yeah? And what stuff would that be?" He sure was making it hard to get it out of him.

    "Boxers, sunglasses, cologne, clothes. The usual. You know." He answers.

    I full out laugh, now. Of course he bought more clothes. "Justice, you literally have so many clothes. You don't need anymore."

    "I do. I'll keep buying for me until you let me buy for you." He knows I don't want to mooch off of him. I didn't like him for his money, it was probably one of the things I disliked the most. But that was my own selfish jealousy.

    "Babe, you know I don't want you to buy things for me." I sigh. "I don't wanna be one of those people."

    "What kind of people?" He really was naive sometimes.