Chapter Twenty-Eight

Fraternizing with the Enemy
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Reed Archer
Friday, after their games

I was pissed. We won, but barely. We won by one point. I was more than pissed. This was bullshit. Coach wasn't happy either. He was making the entire team run laps, well everyone besides me. Instead, I was forced to work on my core. And my arms. Fuck, I was sore. It'd been a while since I've worked out. Too long.

"This is not acceptable!" Coach yells. "You all played like pansies out there! I don't know what your problem was!"

"Coach, our best player was out." Some dipshit yells.

"That is no excuse! Archer does not carry this team! He is not the only person out there." Coach's face was turning one hell of a lot red. "Practices for the next month will be one hour longer and will be every night. We will train until you all collapse. From now on we're starting every practice off with half an hour of suicides. We will condition for another half an hour and if I suspect that any of you are not trying your hardest ten minutes will be added on."

I finished my set reps soon after and most of the boys were done with their laps. I was supposed to meet Justice after our games but he's probably pissed at me now. It's been at least an hour since our set time.

"If you're finished, you're allowed to leave." Coach finally calls after the last runners are done.

All of the boys struggle to walk off of the fields and to their cars. This was going to be a long week. I stand up and grab the crutch and my bag as coach walks over.

"Hey, Archer." Coach claps me on the back.

"What's up, Coach?" I ask.

"When did you say you'll be able to play again?"

"I should be back in time for our game against the Academy. I have a doctors appointment a week before that she said she thinks I'll be cleared to play. She said I didn't need surgery." I say.

"Good, good. I don't think those guys know what to do without you. Hell I don't think they know how to play without you." Coach smiles.

I chuckle and shake my head.

"What's going on, Reed?" Coach asks.

"What do you mean?"

"You're different this year."

"How do you mean?" I ask, looking at him.

"You seem happier. Less angry at the world." Coach says, walking with me towards the bench.

"Yeah, I guess I have been."

"Last time you injured your ankle, you seemed a lot more upset, more angry but I haven't seen that from you. I mean I can see that you're angry that you can't play. But it's not as bad as it was. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Uh, yeah, yeah I think I do." I know why I'm not that upset. How can I be? I was still in the honeymoon phase with Justice.

"Well, whatever it is, keep it up." Coach laughs and claps me on the back.

"Yeah, I think I will." I mumble.

"Alright, rest up and I'll see you on Monday."

"Yup, see ya." With that we walk off in two different directions. I get into my car and drive off. My doctor had never specified whether or not I could drive, so I didn't ask.

I quickly grab my phone out of my bag and click on Justice's contact. I click call and he answers after the second ring.

"I'm pissed at you." Justice says right when he picks up.