Chapter Twenty-Four

Fraternizing with the Enemy

Chapter Twenty-Four

Reed Archer

Next Saturday, Reeds at home

I was babysitting again. Mom and dad were at therapy. Couples therapy. Not that any of us thought they were going to work out. Dad kept cheating on mom and mom keeps cheating on dad. It was a vicious cycle.

Nan was in bed though, so I was texting Justice. It was around 10:50, and he'd just gotten home. Apparently, they had gone to get pizza but were kicked out because of being too loud.

So

What?

Are your parents home yet?

No, why?

Can I come over?

I sigh then chuckle. Shaking my head, I look at the message again. Of course he wants to come over.

Isn't that a little risky?

I'll be careful.

Justice, you're crazy.

I'm not hearing a no.

I chuckle.

"Reed?" I hear Nan call, I throw my phone on the table and head to Nan's room.

"What's wrong, Nan?" I whisper.

"I had a bad dream." She whimpers.

"Ok, do you want me to lay with you?"

"Yes please." I walk into the room and lay down next to her. She lays her head on my chest.

It doesn't take long for her to fall back asleep. I silently curse the fact that I left my phone in the living room. I hear a knocking at the door and I glance down at Nanette before quietly leaving the bed and her room. I didn't invite anyone over, so the only one it could be is either Justice or another random person.

I make it to the living room when another knock comes. I walk over and open the door, raising an eyebrow at the guy waiting there. Surprisingly, it wasn't Justice but some random homeless looking guy.

"Can I help you?" I ask.

"I'm looking for...my dog."

"Okay?"

"Have you seen it-her?"

"Nope. I haven't seen any animals in this neighborhood."

"Oh, okay." The guy says, I watch his eyes look me up and down. My skin crawls. "Well, I live a couple of houses down, so come over if you find him, alright?"

"Will do." I close the door in his face and go and lay down on the couch. I grab my phone and open it to see multiple texts from Justice.

So?

Justice.

Is that a yes or no?

JJJUUUSSTTIICCEE!!

Answer me.

Sorry, my sister woke up. I text back. Right after hitting send, a facetime call pops up. I hit accept and Justices face pops up on the screen.

"Hey asshole." He greets, sending me a mocking smile.

"What's up, J? I chuckle.

"Why'd you leave me hanging?" He complains.