Chapter Nine

Fraternizing with the Enemy
Chapter Nine
Justice Homer
Three days later, Thursday Night (4th week)

There was storm on the radar tonight. I don't do well with storms. A few of my teammates know this. We had a thunderstorm one game and I'd almost had a panic attack. They kept giving me nervous glances all day. We'd been informed this morning and I'd been off all day. You could feel it in the air. It was humid and dark clouds were slowly taking over the sky.

I haven't told Reed about my small issue with storms. I was hopeful that the storm would just pass over us and not happen, but I knew that was unlikely.

I was weird. I loved the smell rain left; it was just getting there that was the problem.

We were sitting in the cabin. Him on his bed and me on mine. I was watching the storm cast and constantly refreshing to see if the prediction changed. It didn't.

"Yo," I look over to Reed to see him stretching. "I'm whipped. I might actually sleep really good tonight."

That'll make one of us. Lucky him.

"Yeah, I'm pretty whipped too." It was true, I was exhausted. I would be able to sleep until the rain started coming down. I'm usually fine with sprinkling but it shows thunder and lightning tonight.

"You ready to head to bed then?" I nod to him and we both shut off our lamps.

We'd slowly been getting closer the more this camp went on. I'd even go as far as saying I don't hate him and was beginning to actually like him. I could see us becoming friends. After football season of course.

I lay down on my bed. The sound of rain hitting the window was the only indication of the oncoming storm. I close my eyes and feel myself slowly slipping into unconsciousness.

A crackling of thunder woke me up about two hours later. The clock on the side table was blinking 12:45. I suppress a whimper as loud, heavy rain was pelting the window and roof.

I look over and see Reed fast asleep, his hand was resting on his stomach and the other one was by his head. I jump when another loud crackle lit up the sky. In a rash decision, I hop out of my bed and jump into Reed's. He wakes up when I settle in against his side, gripping tightly onto his wrist.

"Justice? What's wrong?" His voice was groggy and coated with sleep.

A second later, storm alarms started going off.

"Attention campers. We are under thunderstorm warning. DO NOT leave your cabins. I repeat, DO NOT leave your cabins." I let out a whimper and bury my head into his neck.

"Justice, whats wrong?"

"I don't like storms."

"Is that why you're in my bed right now?" He chuckles.

I whimper in response. Another loud crackle lights up the room. He allows me to wrap myself around him. He lets his arm fall around my waist, pull me in tighter.

"What do you usually do during storms?" He asks, rubbing a hand up and down my back.

"Don't laugh." I warn him. "I hide under my covers. I usually try to drown it out with music."

"I can't do that, but I can talk to you." He offers.

"Please." I beg. I was way beyond caring. Storms were my biggest weakness. I'd start crying soon and I didn't want him to see that.

"Let's play twenty questions."

"Okay. You go first."

"Hmm, ok. Favorite color?" Wow, he's real unique.

"Red, you?"

"Violet." He answers surprising me. He shrugs when I give him a questioning stare.

"Favorite movie?" I ask, loosening my hold on his wrist.

"Fight club. What about you?"

"Hmm, I don't know. Maybe 21 jump street. No, white chicks." I have never seen fight club. I don't watch many movies though. But my answer seems to please him.

"Ooh, that is a good move. I love the club scene, big surprise there. Ok, where do you want to go to college?"

"Hmm, Bear Valley University. Great football team and good FBI program. What about you?" BVU had always been my dream. My uncle had been an FBI agent before dying of cancer. He'd always been my hero.

"FBI, huh? I can see it. I don't really know where I wanna go. Haven't really thought about it. I can't really afford to, so I guess wherever I get the most scholarships."

"Interesting. Do you know what you wanna do?"

"I don't know. Depends on what the school offers, I guess. I've always found animals interesting. Doing veterinarian stuff or training animals would be cool. Why do you want to go into the FBI? Why not police work?"

"My uncle was an FBI agent. He'd tell me stories of cases he worked on. They always interested me, and I wished I could do it too. He was my hero growing up, but he died when I was 11." I move my head from where I had rested it against his neck, flinching at a strike of lightning but thankfully it didn't have a boom of thunder to follow. "Favorite fruit?"

"Grapes. Worst present you've ever gotten?"

"When I was seven my parents let Ryan pick my gift and he got me Star Wars bed sheets. I hate Star Wars. Worst break up you've ever had?"

"I already told you this one. I broke up with her and she burned my clothes. And her dad chased me down the street with a shot gun while I was only wearing boxers and socks." I laugh at Reeds story. I jump and grab onto him when thunder booms with light flashing not too long after. "Most embarrassing article of clothing you own?"

"I have this hello kitty crop top that I bought on a dare. A secret talent you've never told anyone about?"

"I can sing." Reed answers, I see a tinge of red on his cheeks with the next flash of lightning. The thunderclap that follows causes me to close my eyes and clench my teeth to hold in another embarrassing sound.

"Sing something." I demand. He looks at me.

"Why?"

"Because I wanna know if you're serious."

"Fine, what do you want me to sing?"

"Whats your favorite song?" I start to draw a circle on his exposed stomach with my pointer finger.

"Thunderstruck. ACDC."

"Sing that." I wasn't really too family with that song, but I figured it would help distract me from the bolts of thunder and lightning lighting up the sky.

"Hold on, let me grab my phone." Reeds hand leaves my back and he reaches to grab his phone. A second later, an unfamiliar beat reached my ears.

Reed sings along with the song. And much to my enjoyment, he was actually good. He stopped after like 45 seconds. He puts his phone back on the table. His voice was so soothing, my eyes were getting heavy. The thunder and lightning hadn't stopped but they were more spaced, and I found myself falling asleep next to Reed. His hand finds my back again and his chest evens out under my head.