Chapter Twenty-Seven

Fraternizing with the Enemy
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Justice Homer
Same day, Sunday, at the Homer household

The best part about having a teenage brother? It means he slept in until eleven and didn't even notice when you come in at almost nine. I had showered, eaten breakfast and watched an hour of tv before Ryan even made the slightest of sounds.

I was currently finishing up the last of my homework. Ryan had finally come downstairs, freshly showered and looking kind of awake. He sits down beside me on the couch and munches on a bowl of cereal.

"What time did you come home? I was up until one and you still weren't home." Ryan asks.

"Oh, not too much later I don't think." Only about eight hours. But he doesn't need to know that. "Did mom or dad tell you when they'll be home?"

"Sometime tonight I think." He replies. "Like four or five or maybe six. I don't really remember. How was hanging out with the guys?"

I shrug. "Same as it usually is. We got kicked out because they were being too rowdy. I came home then I got invited to hang out with some of my other friends so I went and hung out with them at their house."

"Cool. Arran said he's feeling better so I was going to go hang out with him soon. What are you doing today?"

"I don't know yet. I have to finish this then I'll probably just laze around." I answer. He nods and gets up.

"I'm gonna go change then I'm leaving."

"Do you need a ride?"

"No, mom said they picked up my car before they left. It should be in the garage."

"Cool. Don't fuck it up this time." I laugh. He flips me the bird and heads back upstairs.

Once he's gone, I grab my phone and check for notifications. I had some but not from the person I wanted one from. It has only been a couple of hours since I left his house and yet I wanted to go back.

Fuck. I was totally whipped. I toss my phone to the side and grab my pencil again. I finished up the math I was working on. That was the last of everything I had left. I gather up all of my books and paper and grab my abandoned phone. I head up the stairs and go into my bedroom. I deposit my books on my desk and then look around, aimlessly. I don't know what to do. Typically, I'd fool around with Reed or watch tv or hang out with Hayden but Reed hasn't text me, fuck tv and I don't wanna fake it with Hayden all day. Guess I could play some video games. I lay down on my bed and grab my controller from where it was on the nightstand. I turn on the console and click onto my game.

I spend the next couple of hours dominating the game. I pause around three thirty to go get food. I grab my phone and notice no new notifications. Reed still hadn't texted me, that asshole.

I walk downstairs and open the fridge. I didn't see anything in there that I wanted so instead, I dial the number for a nearby pizza place. I ordered one large pepperoni pizza that was delivered roughly fifteen minutes later. I tip the guy and close the door behind him. I decide to go back up to my room and eat the pizza while I play my game. I open the door and drop the pizza on the floor.

"Holy fuck!" I shout, clutching my chest.

Reed laughs from where he was sitting on my bed.

"Hey babe." He says. "Ooh, pizza. My favorite. What kind did you get?"

"Fucking hell, asshole. You almost gave me a heart attack. And pepperoni." I say, picking the pizza up and sitting down beside him. "What're you doing here?"

"Well, my parents are still drunk and Nan's at a friends house for a sleepover so I decided to come and see you." He answers, opening the pizza box and grabbing a slice. "What're you doing?"

"Video games." I reply, grabbing a slice.

"Is it two player?"

"Yeah, grab a controller." I nod in the direction of my tv, where the other controller was charging. He gets up and grabs it and sits back down, grabbing his pizza slice again.

"What game?"

"Call of duty."

He sends me a look, then laughs and shakes his head.

"What?" I ask, restarting the game so it was multiplayer.

"COD, really? Again? Is that the only game you play?" He laughs.

"Yes, again. And no it isn't the only game I play, its just the one I play most often." I defend.

"You're cute."

We played quietly for a while, slowly finishing off the pizza. We had moved so we were laying side by side on my bed.

"How's your ass?" Reed smirks.

"Ha ha." I mock. "Sore as usual. No thanks to you."

He laughs. "I think it is sore because of me. So it is thanks to me."

"You're annoying." I laugh, trying to hide a smile.

"Only to you." He smiles.

"Great," I mock. "Are you like this all the time?"

"Yup."

"Hm, that's not what I've heard." I say, then kill him in the game.

"Oh yeah? What have you heard?"

"Well that you're an asshole. Not surprising, I already knew that."

"Hey, I'm not that big of an asshole. At least not to you." He defends.

"Yeah, you're right."

"What else have you heard?" He says. I curse as he shoots me in the head, again.

"That you're always grumpy. And you always have a permanent scowl on your face." I laugh. "I believe the grumpy part but not really the scowl. I've only ever seen you with your cocky ass smirk."

"Hm, they're not wrong. But I don't like to think of it as grumpy or scowly, it's more of a 'stay away from me because I don't wanna talk to you' type of face. But, hey, it usually works. Except for your sexy ass. You couldn't resist my charms or my so called grumpy face." He teases.

"If I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure I do, you were smirking at me." I joke back.

"Hm, and now you can't get enough of me or my smiles." He teases, bumping his shoulder with mine.

"Hm, I don't know. I think it's you who can't get enough. You are the one who climbed through my window, not the other way around."

"I do recall you climbing out of my window this morning. Half dressed."

"How did you even climb through my window with your ankle?" I ask. That asshole better not have made his ankle any worse.

"Alright, you caught me. I came through the sliding glass door in the living room then crutched my way up the stairs." He confesses.

"No you didn't." I say. "I would have seen you. You're slow as fuck with the crutch."

"Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't. I saw you in the kitchen so I decided to sneak in." He chuckles. I roll my eyes at him.

"Oh, guess what." I glance over at him.

"What?"

"Coach said a scout from Whitney Uni is coming to see me. He said they may be willing to give me a full ride. They give it to usually only one person." I say.

Reed pauses the game, causing me to turn and look at him. He was already looking at me, with a smile. He leans forward and kisses me, softly.

"That's amazing, J. I'm proud of you." He whispers.