ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ɴɪɴᴇ

➳

Rebekah lies in a dark, dingy room. The mattress beneath her is old and worn. A steady dripping stirs Rebekah's maddened mind, as she sits up with a gasp. The werewolf bites have taken hold, and as she looks around the room it swings into life; a familiar scene from her past which she has long since forgotten.

The hospital is buzzing, alive and manic, has patients screams fill the air as nurses and doctors rush to their aid, attending to the dying and their needs. The Spanish influenza as reached New Orleans.

Rebekah blinks against the hallucination, but it doesn't subside. She breathes heavily, gasping with fear as she stands. The abandoned hospital is dank and musty, ancient wheelchairs and beds abandoned as though the patients are going to stroll right in and resume their unrelenting suffering at any given moment.

Blood drips onto the floor, Rebekah spins but she's met by another man dropping a bloody rag. Another man sits up in his bed, coughing and spluttering into a handkerchief. He looks up with a scared expression; blood stains the white cloth.

There's a loud bang and Rebekah jumps, gasping as she see's two doctors drop a dead body onto a cot. They wheel him away, hastily, clearly heading for the morgue. A women's laughter echoes through the halls, it's haunting and eerie.

"Who's there?" Rebekah calls out.

There is no answer. Frantically, Rebekah struggles through the dank and dingy room, limping from her wounds and disoriented from the fever. She reaches the door, plunging through and into the outside world.

"How the hell did I get here?" Rebekah turns to look at the abandoned hospital. She stumbles down the steps, ready to make her escape, but she doesn't get very far for a wooden stake is shoved into her heart.

She gasps, falling to the ground; looking up into the eyes of a familiar face. A face she thought died many years ago.

"Genevieve!" Rebekah exclaims with the last of her energy.

"Rebekah, tell me you're not leaving already. I thought we might reminisce." Genevieve smiles, although her words aren't friendly or sincere. She watches as the Original finally falls unconscious.

Inside the hospital Celeste is watching over Klaus' shirtless body. He lays on one of the old beds, tied down in restraints although Papa Tunde's blade as weakened him, he is in no position to put up a fight.

- Lafayette Cemetery -

The witches have gathered to say goodbye to Sophie Deveraux, preparing her body for consecration. Monique stands emotionless with a candle in her hands, watching on as a man lays bricks over Sophie's grave.

Suddenly, Elijah appears with Lunar in tow. He quickly takes out three witches with his lightning speed, the crowd of witches gasp and step back, watching on in horror. Monique, though, is not phased by the vampire's appearance.

"My siblings have been taken." Elijah eyes the witches. "Where are they?"

"You're interrupting my Aunt Sophie's consecration." Monique tells him.

"How did this happen?" Elijah asks the girl.

"Aunt Sophie was a casualty of war." Monique simply replies.