ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪxᴛʏ ᴏɴᴇ

Klaus and Elijah stand on the pavement outside the compound, watching as the marching band continues to play. Children and adults alike dance down the street, keeping rhythm with the music.

"Lunar has agreed to return home with us." Klaus tells Elijah, looking at his brother he can see the skepticism on his face. "Of her own free will. You and I both know the little wolf is far too wilful to be forced into an arrangement." Klaus smiles, before noticing Marcel stood nearby.

"When Mikael is truly gone, do you think I'll find peace?" He asks.

"I certainly hope so. Although, it's not only our father who haunts you, Niklaus." Elijah tells him, Nik only rolls his eyes. "You might want to make peace with the living." Elijah pats him on the back before walking off.

Klaus continues to watch Marcel from across the street. The man who he raised, created in his image, the boy who he loved like a son.

New Orleans, 1835

Marcel is at the plantation, a grown man now, watching on as the governor; his father, continues to have his slaves beaten.

"I demand to know why their freedom has not been granted! All necessary authorities have ruled in their favour!" Marcel shouts at the governor.

"You think I don't remember you, boy? Have they turned you into one of them, yet?" The governor taunts. Marcel remains silent, causing the portly man to start laughing. "I thought not."

The governor gestures to one his slave masters, who whips a slave right in front of Marcel. Before the man can do it again, Marcel rushes over and tackles the man; violently punching him in the face. When Marcel stands and turns, the governor is armed with a pistol. He shots Marcel in the chest, sending his body crashing to the floor.

Klaus finds Marcel on a neighbour's porch, he's dying from his wounds.

Klaus rushes over to him, biting into his wrist as he kneels down in front of Marcel. "Here, let me heal you." He offers him his wrist, but Marcel pushes it away.

"No. You always said we choose our family. So, what am I to you, Klaus? You made me a promise when you daggered your sister. It's finally time to make a choice. Turn me now, or let me die." Marcel bargains, fed up of waiting.

"You do not know what you ask of me!" Klaus shoots back, wracked with fear and panic. "Becoming like me! It would rob you of all that makes you good." His voice is strained with emotion.

"I know what you are. Who you are. This is what I want! Please!" Marcel begs, near tears.

Klaus looks at him, considering this for a moment. Taking a deep breath, he bites into his wrist once more. This time when he offers the blood to Marcel he does not push it away, but instead drinks profusely so his wounds heal. Then, without hesitation, Nik snaps his neck.

Present day

Klaus watches as Marcel turns to leave, heading down a quiet, dark alleyway, only to find Klaus is waiting at the other end.

"Your furlough ends when the clock strikes!" Klaus warns Marcel. 

"I'm aware. Don't worry! I intend to be far away from here by then. But, just because I'm across the river, doesn't mean I'm not in the game." Marcel points at the sky. "Full moon's coming. I know you're up to something with the wolves, and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what. And any way I do the math, it ends with me and my guys dead." Klaus stares back at Marcel blankly, refusing to give him any inkling of his true plan.